• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California divorce, Spouse disappeared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5ft24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

In March of 2013, I filed for Divorce in Los Angeles County. My Spouse filed a response, then we got together to hash things out and filed an amended petition with what we both discussed and agreed to. A month later, she filed a response to the amended petition and at the same time filed proof of service. I was never served and I have no clue what is in that response. She has disappeared with her boyfriend and I have not been able to locate her since. I now live in Washington State, so I am unable to locally look for her, but even her kids have no clue where she is and haven't heard from her in a year. looking at the filing scenarios on the LA County court website, it doesn't show any way to file to complete this without her signing an agreement. If I choose to file the final papers as default, then that is agreeing to what is in the response she filed without any knowledge of what is in it... That I am unwilling to do.
I have tried to get a hold of the assistance people that helped us write up the amended petition at the courthouse, but they are not available by phone, only in person. I have absolutely no money for an attorney so need to try and do this myself... Do I just file a new amended petition then request default?
Thanks

5ft24

Have you contacted the court and asked for a copy of her most recent filing?
I have been told by the court when I have called that I need to come in person so they can verify my identity before I can obtain documents from the case... Living in Washington makes that pretty difficult

Last edited:

single317dad

I have been told by the court when I have called that I need to come in person so they can verify my identity before I can obtain documents from the case... Living in Washington makes that pretty difficult
How long have you lived at your current address?

single317dad

Since May of 2013. Put in my change of address to the court as soon as I moved.
If going to court in LA is really a big problem for you, you could simply have that case dismissed and file for divorce in Washington. I do not think that is your best course of action, as you apparently have some sort of signed agreement submitted to your current court and that alone could expedite the process tremendously. However, your only options for getting that paperwork appear to be either A) go get it or B) hire a representative (lawyer) to get it for you. Starting the process over might take a very long time with a respondent who can't be located, but it may be your only option.

RRevak

OP I have to ask. Seeing as her own children haven't heard from her in a year, and you have also been unable to locate her, are you even sure she's...um...ok?

latigo

Before you beat on this issue any further you better be able to manufacture some legal authority giving that this Los Angels Superior Court continues to have the necessary jurisdiction to act upon either or your dormant petitions for dissolution (summary or otherwise) considering that none of you are now domiciled in that state?

The horses you and "wifey" were riding while all this went down in smoggy La La Land some two years back are both dead!

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Seems to be a problem of your own making...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">