• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contempt of court by denying visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chickenfarmer07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Mo

My ex husband and I have a parenting plan. I have not let my 9 yr old son go the past few weekends that have been his because I am afraid for my child's safety. He is cohabiting with a women who was gotten 2 DWI'S in the past 4 months. One of which she had her own children in the car with her at the time. When he is at work he is home with the girlfriend. My ex husband is already in contempt by cohabiting with her and having my child around alcohol. My son has told me that she has drank and drove with him in the car before and is able to tell me what she drinks. I do not drink so I had no clue what it even was that she drank when he told me. I am afraid for my child that's why I am doing this. I was wondering if anyone had any advice with this situation.

Last edited:

johnsoncm1

Just a statement here. This woman obviously needs help and advice but the responses all seem clinical, emotionless, and if I'm honest, rude. The same on some answers to a situation I posted. Is this a forum for advice or not?

I'mTheFather

Well, her first post didn't ask for any advice. So, she didn't get any.

Then, she added the current last line. In my opinion, the only valid advice is to act on the contempt. Withholding visitation puts her in contempt too, as she acknowledges. How long will she wait before going back to court? What else would you advise?

I'mTheFather

I just read both of your threads, and I have no idea what you're talking about. There is not a rude response in this or your threads. As for clinical and emotionless, you should count your lucky stars. I don't know what you expected, but most members stick to the legal issue, and leave the emotion aside. When they don't, it's not usually sympathy they (we) express.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Mo

My ex husband and I have a parenting plan. I have not let my 9 yr old son go the past few weekends that have been his because I am afraid for my child's safety. He is cohabiting with a women who was gotten 2 DWI'S in the past 4 months. One of which she had her own children in the car with her at the time. When he is at work he is home with the girlfriend. My ex husband is already in contempt by cohabiting with her and having my child around alcohol. My son has told me that she has drank and drove with him in the car before and is able to tell me what she drinks. I do not drink so I had no clue what it even was that she drank when he told me. I am afraid for my child that's why I am doing this. I was wondering if anyone had any advice with this situation.

And how exactly did that conversation come about?

Silverplum

Just a statement here. This woman obviously needs help and advice but the responses all seem clinical, emotionless, and if I'm honest, rude. The same on some answers to a situation I posted. Is this a forum for advice or not?
I agree with TheFather. No one has been rude to you or to this poster.

Complaining about the free help = :(

johnsoncm1

Not complaining about free help in the least. However you have to acknowledge that all of these issues being dealt with are emotionally charged for the poster. I do "thank my lucky stars" for any and all help I get. I'm simply advocating compassionate replies. I don't think that's too much to ask or if YOU'RE honest, i also don't think you have "no idea what I'm talking about". That's all I'm going to say on the matter. Thanks for the replies. They were very educational and I do appreciate your time.

I'mTheFather

Not complaining about free help in the least. However you have to acknowledge that all of these issues being dealt with are emotionally charged for the poster. I do "thank my lucky stars" for any and all help I get. I'm simply advocating compassionate replies. I don't think that's too much to ask or if YOU'RE honest, i also don't think you have "no idea what I'm talking about". That's all I'm going to say on the matter. Thanks for the replies. They were very educational and I do appreciate your time.
Sincerely, I don't know what you're referring to as rude. I saw nothing rude in any of the 3 threads.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So where is your compassionate advice for OP? Just curious...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP, two wrongs don't make a right. You can't deny visitation and go against the court order just because you want to do so. If you have evidence of your concerns (and your son's words are not going to do it) you can file for a modification in court. But you don't get to deny visitation just because. In fact, you may find that you could LOSE custody because of that.

johnsoncm1

I thought the above post was a fair and decent response. Not going to pick on anyone but for example a reply contained the phrase "and stop complaining about it". That just seemed cold to me and pointless to say. Just seemed like the response was a burden for the responder and it was an excuse to not have a filter for the reply. I don't have much in the way of advice for the op as you can see I've had to post my own request for help on this site. I'm just saying it doesn't hurt to remember that the folks posting here are going through some harrowing and emotionally tumultuous things. A little compassion may go a long way. Gonna stop being preachy now cause I don't want to hijack the ops thread.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I thought the above post was a fair and decent response. Not going to pick on anyone but for example a reply contained the phrase "and stop complaining about it". That just seemed cold to me and pointless to say. Just seemed like the response was a burden for the responder and it was an excuse to not have a filter for the reply. I don't have much in the way of advice for the op as you can see I've had to post my own request for help on this site. I'm just saying it doesn't hurt to remember that the folks posting here are going through some harrowing and emotionally tumultuous things. A little compassion may go a long way. Gonna stop being preachy now cause I don't want to hijack the ops thread.
Thank you for letting us know how we should respond. I had never really figured it out before you came along to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">