• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad required to pay my pregnancy medical bills... but how?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MHR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Last week we had the trial, I got primary physical and joint legal. Judge ordered dad to pay for my pregnancy medical bills. The judge was nice enough to stay over (we were in his courtroom until almost 6:30pm) and so when he gave the orders he went through them quickly and literally just said "dad is to pay for pregnancy and labor medical bills". He did not specify HOW or when, etc.

Yesterday I had a meeting with my attorney about this. He said the default accepted method of payment for this scenario (because the judge did not specify otherwise) is that we send copies of all the bills now, and then I pay the bills and dad repays me within 30 days. Couple problems with this...

1.) All of these medical bills are reporting on my credit. So even if I sent him the bills and he paid them himself, OF COURSE he's not going to take the time to negotiate with the creditors before making a payment and having them send a letter agreeing to remove the collection from my account when it's paid. I've dealt with tons of collection companies, you NEED to get this letter otherwise they are well within their right to continue reporting on this account for several years to come. I don't have any assets that they can take, so I'm not worried about that. But what I am worried about is that I recently went through a credit repair program and they got like 98% of things off my report, but these medical bills literally showed up RIGHT when the repair was done. I have a car that I'm paying 20% interest rate on right now.... why? Because my credit WAS terrible. Then it got better. And now it's bad again. I worked my ass off with that credit repair company so that I could refinance my car to an affordable payment... and now I can't do that. I also can't get a loan to pay more for an attorney BECAUSE of the bad credit.

2.) Dad has quite the history of not abiding by 30 days rules and NEVER does ANYTHING on time that is supposed to be required by law. And given the large difference in income I do not have the ability to pay now and HOPE he repays me. He knows that the money for my attorney came from a loan, which was a one time use card with begging, pleading and crying with my grandparents (they took out a loan against their house, and do not have any more available credit line to them). For an example of things he has not abided by: dads attorney tried to pull a fast one on us with discovery and didn't get their documents back to us, so we were forced to file a motion, which we won and was sadly only awarded 1k in atty fees. The discovery judge said the 1k was due within 30 days. The 30 day due date was at the end of MAY, and here we are 30 days PAST the 30 day due date and still no payment. THEN they didn't respond to our SECOND discovery request, and I didn't have the funds to file a motion to enforce it. He also never turned in his financial disclosure form on time, and the judge had to ask them to do that. So I think this demonstrates dad has a very clear intention of never following deadlines.

What I'm wondering is do you think this scenario is worth going back in front of the judge to fight for? What I really need to have happen is dad pays me, and I pay the bills. I'm even willing to agree to submit proof of payment so that it can be verified. But the opposite scenario where *I* have to count on HIM to follow the orders is going to fail and will continue to ruin my credit. And as mentioned, dad knows that if he doesn't pay that I don't have the ability to pay an atty to enforce it. Even going back in front of the judge right now is not something I could do with an attorney right now. I've talked to a few paralegals that specialize in family law and I can handle paying them $200 to write a motion (or whatever else it is that I would need), and then me appearing in court by myself. But I definitely cannot spend $2k-3k to have an attorney take care of this.

I know that generally speaking a judge is going to careless about your credit, but I'm hoping/thinking that showing his history of not following orders is clearly not a good idea to put us in a scenario where I am forced to have to count on dad abiding by deadlines.

To be more specific about my exact question... why can't we just have the medical bills totaled up and then a judgment granted for that dollar amount? That's what I'm trying to understand. I have enough of his information from the discovery to do a bank levy and collect the funds after he fails to pay.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Last week we had the trial, I got primary physical and joint legal. Judge ordered dad to pay for my pregnancy medical bills. The judge was nice enough to stay over (we were in his courtroom until almost 6:30pm) and so when he gave the orders he went through them quickly and literally just said "dad is to pay for pregnancy and labor medical bills". He did not specify HOW or when, etc.

Yesterday I had a meeting with my attorney about this. He said the default accepted method of payment for this scenario (because the judge did not specify otherwise) is that we send copies of all the bills now, and then I pay the bills and dad repays me within 30 days. Couple problems with this...

1.) All of these medical bills are reporting on my credit. So even if I sent him the bills and he paid them himself, OF COURSE he's not going to take the time to negotiate with the creditors before making a payment and having them send a letter agreeing to remove the collection from my account when it's paid. I've dealt with tons of collection companies, you NEED to get this letter otherwise they are well within their right to continue reporting on this account for several years to come. I don't have any assets that they can take, so I'm not worried about that. But what I am worried about is that I recently went through a credit repair program and they got like 98% of things off my report, but these medical bills literally showed up RIGHT when the repair was done. I have a car that I'm paying 20% interest rate on right now.... why? Because my credit WAS terrible. Then it got better. And now it's bad again. I worked my ass off with that credit repair company so that I could refinance my car to an affordable payment... and now I can't do that. I also can't get a loan to pay more for an attorney BECAUSE of the bad credit.

2.) Dad has quite the history of not abiding by 30 days rules and NEVER does ANYTHING on time that is supposed to be required by law. And given the large difference in income I do not have the ability to pay now and HOPE he repays me. He knows that the money for my attorney came from a loan, which was a one time use card with begging, pleading and crying with my grandparents (they took out a loan against their house, and do not have any more available credit line to them). For an example of things he has not abided by: dads attorney tried to pull a fast one on us with discovery and didn't get their documents back to us, so we were forced to file a motion, which we won and was sadly only awarded 1k in atty fees. The discovery judge said the 1k was due within 30 days. The 30 day due date was at the end of MAY, and here we are 30 days PAST the 30 day due date and still no payment. THEN they didn't respond to our SECOND discovery request, and I didn't have the funds to file a motion to enforce it. He also never turned in his financial disclosure form on time, and the judge had to ask them to do that. So I think this demonstrates dad has a very clear intention of never following deadlines.

What I'm wondering is do you think this scenario is worth going back in front of the judge to fight for? What I really need to have happen is dad pays me, and I pay the bills. I'm even willing to agree to submit proof of payment so that it can be verified. But the opposite scenario where *I* have to count on HIM to follow the orders is going to fail and will continue to ruin my credit. And as mentioned, dad knows that if he doesn't pay that I don't have the ability to pay an atty to enforce it. Even going back in front of the judge right now is not something I could do with an attorney right now. I've talked to a few paralegals that specialize in family law and I can handle paying them $200 to write a motion (or whatever else it is that I would need), and then me appearing in court by myself. But I definitely cannot spend $2k-3k to have an attorney take care of this.

I know that generally speaking a judge is going to careless about your credit, but I'm hoping/thinking that showing his history of not following orders is clearly not a good idea to put us in a scenario where I am forced to have to count on dad abiding by deadlines.

The agreement isn't between Dad and the providers - it's between you and the providers.

Your attorney is right, I'm afraid.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'd just like to comment on this: The creditors are under absolutely no obligation to remove an item from your report just because you pay it. That's simply not how it works. Perhaps you've been able to negotiate this sort of thing in the past, but it's really not the norm.

MHR

The agreement isn't between Dad and the providers - it's between you and the providers.
Yes, I'm not disputing that.

I guess to be more specific... why can't we just have the medical bills totaled up and then a judgment granted for that dollar amount? That's what I'm trying to understand. I have enough of his information from the discovery to do a bank levy and collect the funds after he fails to pay.

When attorney fees are awarded you're not required to show proof of payment to an attorney. I don't see how this is different. I'm NOT even trying to get out of showing proof of payment to the medical creditors, I'm more than willing to do that. The problem is with having to rely on dad following the orders which will NEVER work, clearly demonstrated by his history of not following orders or deadlines already. There's more examples he has failed to follow rules, but I didn't want to bore you with all the details. But if that's what someone thinks the judge would need to be convinced to just award the medical bills as a typical judgment then I'm all for it! Here's a quick one I'll tell you about: child support office sent dad a notice of intent to suspend his drivers license due to failure to pay them (he's been sending payments to me directly, which is not allowed by the CS office, and therefore they warned him to stop doing this). His 30 day notice is up on July 6th. So even if I started a motion now, by the time the hearing would get here his license will be suspended. That's just yet another proof I have to show he will NEVER follow deadlines, even if they are from a judge or other authority.

mommyanme

Make the deals with the creditors, one by one, pay each one and also pay a little on each of the others, if they accept payment they must report that, even if it's $5. Keep all your reciepts and do what your attorney says, submit the bills. Medical bills are not as harmful as badly paid loans, credit cards ect.

MHR

I'd just like to comment on this: The creditors are under absolutely no obligation to remove an item from your report just because you pay it. That's simply not how it works. Perhaps you've been able to negotiate this sort of thing in the past, but it's really not the norm.
That's the purpose of getting the letter, which states they WILL remove the item from your credit once payment is made. As long as you have that letter, if the creditor does not follow through, then all you do is submit that letter to the credit bureau and they will remove it... I've had to do this a few times.

MHR

Medical bills are not as harmful as badly paid loans, credit cards ect.
That's what everyone thinks, but my credit reports and scores prove otherwise. I even used that line back when I worked for a collection agency, since I blindly told debtors what I was told by management in order to collect payments.

MHR

I wonder why you didn't speak UP at that time and let Judge Nice N. Generous write it the way YOU wanted it?
Nah, I wasn't gonna piss off the judge... I let the other side do that. Judge was nice enough to stay over, otherside didn't agree with the orders as they were being given and butted in a few times and were quickly shushed by the judge who was just trying to do his job and get out the door.

And as you pointed out I *do* believe my judge is pretty darn nice, and he's been willing to entertain some of the most ridiculous arguments from the other side (we've actually won all of our arguments!) He'll at least hear you out before telling you to nicely piss off and stop wasting his time. Which furthers my confidence in thinking that if I go in front of him again that I think he would side with me. I believe I have a very solid reason for this request to simply have it reduced to judgment.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's the purpose of getting the letter, which states they WILL remove the item from your credit once payment is made. As long as you have that letter, if the creditor does not follow through, then all you do is submit that letter to the credit bureau and they will remove it... I've had to do this a few times.
I understand - I'm just explaining that it's NOT normal.

MHR

Because you plan to negotiate lower amounts. :rolleyes:
Nope. I've mentioned several times now that I'm more than willing to be bound to submit proof of payment. Any lower negotiated amounts with the creditors would be passed on to savings for dad. If that were my intent I would not be willing to do this.

This also brings back my point of I don't see how/why this is treated any differently than attorney fee awards. You are not required to show proof of payment to an attorney. BUT I am willing to do that.

Silverplum

Nope. I've mentioned several times now that I'm more than willing to be bound to submit proof of payment. Any lower negotiated amounts with the creditors would be passed on to savings for dad. If that were my intent I would not be willing to do this.

This also brings back my point of I don't see how/why this is treated any differently than attorney fee awards. You are not required to show proof of payment to an attorney. BUT I am willing to do that.
I see you have some things to learn about family law. Here, you can learn. :)

One of the first things I would tell you is that you don't *need* to understand every reason WHY things are the way they are. We just deal with what IS.

Proserpina

What exactly is it you want us to say?

Your attorney answered your question best - listen to your attorney. We should not be second-guessing your attorney, period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">