• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving money to minors online from donations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlorianB

Hi,

We are starting a service in the US, with California and/or Delaware involved.
Our mobile app will allow members to donate to other members, as an optional thank you for a service they may provide.

Is there any way members under 18 can receive money from such donations?
(we are thinking of Paypal or Stripe to pay them)

Thank you!
Best.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi,

We are starting a service in the US, with California and/or Delaware involved.
Our mobile app will allow members to donate to other members, as an optional thank you for a service they may provide.

Is there any way members under 18 can receive money from such donations?
(we are thinking of Paypal or Stripe to pay them)

Thank you!
Best.
You are going to run afoul of MANY regulations.

Besides - isn't what you are proposing basically Paypal?

FlyingRon

No minor can legally have an account on PAYPAL, and I suspect STRIPE would be foolish if they would allow it either.

Understand that minors can't legally enter into contracts, so you're treading on thin ice just doing business with them. I don't know what sort of "service" you are brokering, but I'd be HIGHLY careful doing anything with minors.

FlorianB

No minor can legally have an account on PAYPAL, and I suspect STRIPE would be foolish if they would allow it either.

Understand that minors can't legally enter into contracts, so you're treading on thin ice just doing business with them. I don't know what sort of "service" you are brokering, but I'd be HIGHLY careful doing anything with minors.
Thank you for the reply.
Stripe allows minors to receive money with authorization from their parents.
I'm glad you mention this "enter into contracts" thing.

So technically, besides the "be carefuls" and other speculations, is there a way for them to receive donations from other members, or is that totally inconceivable? Knowing, and telling them that they can't ask for anything, anyone is free to donate. not donate, and accept or not accept donations.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">