• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous employer issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aitharon1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I worked for a company that had a recent company move/take over and all of our "high up jobs" were replaced by these newcomers. In November 2015 I was terminated. I now work for a company where those individuals use to work for. I received a letter from my previous employer whom I have not been employed with in over two months stating.. " It has come to our attention that you continue to bad mouth our company. If you continue to Slander, ect ect our company's name. We will be foreced to take legal action and if you do not know these law I sugguest you look them up. Now... i have not said a work in my new company or anywhere else about my previous employer... Now here's the question(s) Are they legally able to sue me over accusations they know nothing about NOR have proof of? Second, are there any forms of retaliation that I can take on this company for harrasing and threatening me?

Thank you for your help.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I worked for a company that had a recent company move/take over and all of our "high up jobs" were replaced by these newcomers. In November 2015 I was terminated. I now work for a company where those individuals use to work for. I received a letter from my previous employer whom I have not been employed with in over two months stating.. " It has come to our attention that you continue to bad mouth our company. If you continue to Slander, ect ect our company's name. We will be foreced to take legal action and if you do not know these law I sugguest you look them up. Now... i have not said a work in my new company or anywhere else about my previous employer... Now here's the question(s) Are they legally able to sue me over accusations they know nothing about NOR have proof of? Second, are there any forms of retaliation that I can take on this company for harrasing and threatening me?

Thank you for your help.
They're full of manure, and you're not being harassed by any definition.

Suing you for defamation is going to be very, very expensive for them and the chances of them recovering damages are slim to none even if they have proof.

It's super professional of them to say "if you don't know the law I suggest you look them up". Yes, I'm being extremely snarky there.

commentator

Are you sure this comes from the company itself, or maybe just one or two disgruntled persons who still are working there who really hates you? Honestly, it sounds very unprofessional and not like some any company big enough to have "higher ups" would do at all. I have seen things like this happen more often than you'd realize. Who signed it? Is it on company stationery? If you are completely sure nothing questionable has occurred on your part that might relate to "trashing" or "bad mouthing" this former workplace and the people who took your job away, I might actually contact the person who supposedly signed this letter and let them know that you have no idea what they are talking about, have "spoken to someone" (us here on the forum) about this situation, and will possibly pursue legal action if this harassment continues yada yada. You might just accidentally expose something the company didn't know was going on.

Also, look around you, you may very well be working with someone who's pipelining your every word and action back to these people. And you may not have been too complimentary about your former worksite. Be professional, do not discuss your business of any kind with co workers and be careful what you say about your former employer, regardless. It's just not a good idea to be too verbal about former employers.

Aitharon1

Thank you for replying back. The person who sent and signed it was the head of HR also former personnel of the company I work for now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">