• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cannot Decide Whether to Go to Court Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

l_c

My question involves criminal law for the state of: WA

My husband was arrested for Assault 4 & Interfering With Reporting Of DV. As a result, there's been a NCO in place for almost 3 months, in which he also hasn't been able to see the kids although they aren't included in the order. A motion I set forth to allow for 3rd party contact was denied.
This is not his first DV charge. He is actually not violent, but mentally he needs help. That was understood the first go-round with this, & thus his plea deal/probation only consisted of 2 years mandated counseling. This time around, at the motion hearing I let the judge know that that's simply not enough, he needs to see not just a counselor but someone able to actually diagnose and perhaps prescribe.
Both times, he has been the one to call the police. This time, he said he called because I kicked our daughter. It was one of those things where it was a complete accident, I didn't see her. She wasn't hurt, but she did cry. This put my husband into a major freak out mode upon her crying where he treated me like a criminal. I tried to comfort her as well as he was holding her but he freaked out, kept her away from me like he needed to protect her. I realized he was having an 'episode' & backed off & left him alone. He called the police & when they arrived, I heard him tell them it was an accident, but apparently that wasn't what he said in the call. They put him in the car & came back in & asked me if I was trying to call 911 & he prevented me. I said no, he did have my phone & I wanted it back but I wasn't going to call 911 with it.

I received a subpoena in the mail several weeks ago along with a date & time for an interview w/ the prosecutor. I misplaced that letter but didn't think it was a big deal as I thought it was a phone interview, and they'd call me. When they never did, I called them & they said it was in-person & I missed it. When they asked if I would be showing up, I said I wasn't sure because of this NCO, I have issues finding a babysitter. I also received a call from his public defender's investigator, who I had previously spoken to & told the whole story to. She called to inform me she had written up a report of what I said and passed it on to his attorney, & was wondering if I'd heard from the prosecutor. I said no, that I'd had an interview I missed & was not planning on attending the court date. She said she wouldn't write that down but would "pass it on" to his attorney.

Well today my friend just informed me she'd be able to babysit if I wanted to go. I just have no idea how to decide if I should go or not. I want him to get help in the form of psychiatric counseling, court mandated. I also don't want them sticking us with this NCO for 3-5 years, as at the time it was initially slapped on upon his release date, it was 5 years. How do my actions best help?

Proserpina

If you're talking about anything that is not in this post, that's entirely different people and not my situation.
Read your first post on this thread.

Read. It.

If you can't see the massive red flag, then ... well, quite honestly the kids need to be somewhere else.

l_c

Read your first post on this thread.

Read. It.

If you can't see the massive red flag, then ... well, quite honestly the kids need to be somewhere else.
Why is everyone on here so rude and arrogant? No, I don't understand how I'm "risking custody" point blank. If you're not going to help, then please just go somewhere else. Geez. People are going through hard times and people must come and give them harder times? I'm *in* the situation, everything is difficult, cloudy, and uncertain, which is why I came to others who are not in the situation and thus things should be much clearer to them. Thanks.

Just Blue

Why is everyone on here so rude and arrogant? No, I don't understand how I'm "risking custody" point blank. If you're not going to help, then please just go somewhere else. Geez. People are going through hard times and people must come and give them harder times? I'm *in* the situation, everything is difficult, cloudy, and uncertain, which is why I came to others who are not in the situation and thus things should be much clearer to them. Thanks.
By responding we are helping. By pointing out what you are ...missing...in your situation, we are helping. Help yourself by reading and UNDERSTANDING what YOU post.

Eekamouse

My question involves criminal law for the state of: WA

My husband was arrested for Assault 4 & Interfering With Reporting Of DV. As a result, there's been a NCO in place for almost 3 months, in which he also hasn't been able to see the kids although they aren't included in the order. A motion I set forth to allow for 3rd party contact was denied.
This is not his first DV charge. He is actually not violent, but mentally he needs help. That was understood the first go-round with this, & thus his plea deal/probation only consisted of 2 years mandated counseling. This time around, at the motion hearing I let the judge know that that's simply not enough, he needs to see not just a counselor but someone able to actually diagnose and perhaps prescribe.
Both times, he has been the one to call the police. This time, he said he called because I kicked our daughter. It was one of those things where it was a complete accident, I didn't see her. She wasn't hurt, but she did cry. This put my husband into a major freak out mode upon her crying where he treated me like a criminal. I tried to comfort her as well as he was holding her but he freaked out, kept her away from me like he needed to protect her. I realized he was having an 'episode' & backed off & left him alone. He called the police & when they arrived, I heard him tell them it was an accident, but apparently that wasn't what he said in the call. They put him in the car & came back in & asked me if I was trying to call 911 & he prevented me. I said no, he did have my phone & I wanted it back but I wasn't going to call 911 with it.

I received a subpoena in the mail several weeks ago along with a date & time for an interview w/ the prosecutor. I misplaced that letter but didn't think it was a big deal as I thought it was a phone interview, and they'd call me. When they never did, I called them & they said it was in-person & I missed it. When they asked if I would be showing up, I said I wasn't sure because of this NCO, I have issues finding a babysitter. I also received a call from his public defender's investigator, who I had previously spoken to & told the whole story to. She called to inform me she had written up a report of what I said and passed it on to his attorney, & was wondering if I'd heard from the prosecutor. I said no, that I'd had an interview I missed & was not planning on attending the court date. She said she wouldn't write that down but would "pass it on" to his attorney.

Well today my friend just informed me she'd be able to babysit if I wanted to go. I just have no idea how to decide if I should go or not. I want him to get help in the form of psychiatric counseling, court mandated. I also don't want them sticking us with this NCO for 3-5 years, as at the time it was initially slapped on upon his release date, it was 5 years. How do my actions best help?

I see. What matters is that you and your abuser are not separated for 3-5 years. What doesn't matter is the safety and well being of your children. You kicked your kid? During a fight with your husband you kicked your kid on accident? Pathetic. They should have taken the kids from you that night.

Proserpina

Your children can be removed because they have abusive and/or neglectful parents.

Understand?

l_c

I see. What matters is that you and your abuser are not separated for 3-5 years. What doesn't matter is the safety and well being of your children. You kicked your kid? During a fight with your husband you kicked your kid on accident? Pathetic. They should have taken the kids from you that night.
I can't with the disgusting assumptions. I feel for you, I really do. Actually, what matters is that we are separated, we had planned on separating while he gets help and then this happened. Blessing in disguise of sorts maybe or maybe not. No, that is not what happened. Do you have kids? Little kids? Or even a little dog? I probably accidentally hurt one of them almost every day, as they are always underfoot. My husband saw this & made a huge deal about it, went into what looked like a dissociative state....It was horrible to witness.

This place should be called freemeanadvice, as it's truly horrible to make speculations and then tell someone their kids deserve to be taken from them.

Just Blue

I can't with the disgusting assumptions. I feel for you, I really do. Actually, what matters is that we are separated, we had planned on separating while he gets help and then this happened. Blessing in disguise of sorts maybe or maybe not. No, that is not what happened. Do you have kids? Little kids? Or even a little dog? I probably accidentally hurt one of them almost every day, as they are always underfoot. My husband saw this & made a huge deal about it, went into what looked like a dissociative state....It was horrible to witness.

This place should be called freemeanadvice, as it's truly horrible to make speculations and then tell someone their kids deserve to be taken from them.
IC is likely a very good name for you if you think hurting a child or pet every day is normal. I have 2 children and several small pets. They are not injured by me. EVER.

Proserpina

No I don't understand because that's not true, therefore you don't understand either. Thanks, though. Not.
Bonus round: Carl on the other site has just told you the same thing.

Extra credit: I'm the only person who has responded who actually lives in WA.

If you think that the state can't take your kids, you're delusional and your children need to be somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">