• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent deposits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I'll just say this. They'll see it's not me on camera depositing anything like that because I didn't deposit it. Second, nothing will trace back to me because again I wouldn't simply deposit checks into my own account
I'm sorry but I don't understand. What would you do with checks made out to you? Wallpaper a room with them?

Most people in personal receipt of checks either endorse the checks made out to them and then cash them, or the checks are deposited directly into their bank accounts and they are able to access the money once the checks clear.

Banks know how bank accounts work. They know how bank cards work. They know counterfeit checks when they see them. They recognize fraudulent bank activity when they see it.

And they can often tell when someone is lying when the liar is grilled by loss prevention.

Your story does not hold water, this whether what you are saying is true or not. I think you should speak to an attorney before heading to speak to loss prevention. Or, you can speak to loss prevention on your own without an attorney but I suggest you have an attorney on speed-dial so you can contact the attorney if you are arrested and charged with a crime.

I recommend you exercise your right to remain silent if the police are contacted and you are questioned. Refer all police questions to your attorney - the attorney of whom you have on speed dial because you are smart enough to follow some advice if not all of it.

Good luck.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
It seems as if everyone is on the same page here ... except the OP.

If I were the OP I'd be sitting having a good old think and wondering why everyone else thinks that my story is full of holes. Could they all be wrong? Have they simply seen right through my attempt to "test drive" my potential defense?

Questions, indeed.

CenTex71

I'll just say this. They'll see it's not me on camera depositing anything like that because I didn't deposit it. Second, nothing will trace back to me because again I wouldn't simply deposit checks into my own account
You're confident, but why are you here? Closing accounts is expensive. It's typically done due to inactivity or fraud. I think you know what happened, you know it's all closing in on you, and you're not sure what to do.

I wouldn't want to be you this week.

quincy

... Have they simply seen right through my attempt to "test drive" my potential defense? ...
This could very well be what is happening. Jabahut227 might be trying to construct some sort of explanation he can give to the bank or police that makes some sense.

What seems clear is that he hasn't hit on that explanation yet. :)

Just Blue

This could very well be what is happening. Jabahut227 might be trying to construct some sort of explanation he can give to the bank or police that makes some sense.

What seems clear is that he hasn't hit on that explanation yet. :)
After reading the whole thread...That is my impression. ;)

Jabahut227

Actually talked with them everything is figured out. They'll close that account and I get a new one. I had to make a claim so they can investigate it. Actually I didn't have to explain anything or give a back story. Note they see everything on my account so I don't have to explain. Anyways I make the claim, they'll investigate it. You guys are really cut throat.....

quincy

Actually talked with them everything is figured out. They'll close that account and I get a new one. I had to make a claim so they can investigate it. Actually I didn't have to explain anything or give a back story. Note they see everything on my account so I don't have to explain. Anyways I make the claim, they'll investigate it. You guys are really cut throat.....
It was good that you did not have to explain anything or give a back story. ;)

I hope the investigation results in the investigators tracing the counterfeit checks to the counterfeiter ... and I hope the investigators learn why this nefarious soul decided to pick your account as a storage unit for the fake checks. The counterfeiter does not appear to be a very bright character.

Last edited:

justalayman

We're cutthroat? Just wait until they complete their investigation and trace those checks back to, um, whomever deposited them.

quincy

We're cutthroat? Just wait until they complete their investigation and trace those checks back to, um, whomever deposited them.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out for Jabahut227 (although I suspect we may see an OG effect).

I still recommend he has an attorney lined up, just in case he finds he needs one to speak for him. ;)

STEPHAN

I still recommend he has an attorney lined up, just in case he finds he needs one to speak for him. ;)
OP is a minor and needs to talk to his parents, first. He should not even have an account without his parents co signing.

quincy

OP is a minor and needs to talk to his parents, first. He should not even have an account without his parents co signing.
We were never provided Jabahut227's state name, were we? I asked but he never answered.

There can be state laws that might regulate the age at which a minor can open a bank account without a cosigner but there is no federal law that requires a minimum age. It is generally up to the bank and banks vary in their policies, some allowing minors who have jobs to open an account without a parent as cosigner, some allowing those as young as 13 to open accounts. It depends on the bank.

Although it is generally a good idea for minors to speak to their parents when they are faced with the threat of legal action, Jabahut227 is apparently not at the point yet where he is being charged with a crime. His parents at that point will (more than likely and depending on all facts) be contacted by the police during their investigation.

Jabahut227

They already know. I'm from NC. Don't see it being that way at all. They have the footage....btw I Like how you guys assumed I'm a guy. Guys really didn't help much but accuse and say I need to talk to an attorney which I'm not trying to be bother with...what type of advice column is this...

single317dad

btw I Like how you guys assumed I'm a guy
We also like how you assumed that!

The advice you receive here will be much like that you would receive from an attorney in at least one critical way: unless we have all the facts, exactly as they occurred, then we can't advise you accurately.

The questions the volunteers ask will sometimes have the air of a police interrogation, because much like the police, we've heard a whole lot of stories, and it's pretty easy to sniff out when one doesn't add up.

Good luck to you.

quincy

They already know. I'm from NC. Don't see it being that way at all. They have the footage....btw I Like how you guys assumed I'm a guy. Guys really didn't help much but accuse and say I need to talk to an attorney which I'm not trying to be bother with...what type of advice column is this...
Many of us will use "he" instead of s/he or him/her, or variations thereof, for simplicity sake. We figure the poster knows what sex s/he is and is smart enough to make the necessary mental correction.

The advice you were offered was based strictly on what you told us and the way you told it. Your story sounded fishy. Still does. But the bank (and possibly the police) will more than likely sort it all out with their investigation. They will try to determine why someone is depositing in your account counterfeit checks.

I am happy to hear your parents know of your bank problems.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">