• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Arizona

Hello, A person I was involved with contacted my work regarding our personal on going argument. I was contacted by my companies HR and was told this person contacted them with a phone call and email to presidents and immediate supervisors I know and work with. I do not know what was said, but I have my suspicions. I was told by my HR people that since this was a external issue they have zero recourse at this time. But if it continues they will investigate. I am afraid this person has damaged my reputation and personal integrity. Any advise?

Just Blue

Arizona

Hello, A person I was involved with contacted my work regarding our personal on going argument. I was contacted by my companies HR and was told this person contacted them with a phone call and email to presidents and immediate supervisors I know and work with. I do not know what was said, but I have my suspicions. I was told by my HR people that since this was a external issue they have zero recourse at this time. But if it continues they will investigate. I am afraid this person has damaged my reputation and personal integrity. Any advise?
Advice. ;)

What do you mean "zero recourse" and "will investigate"? What do you think was said to them (employer)?

zero recourse- they are not holding what was said against me, but if these communications regarding me continue, they will investigate. What was likely said was that I was stalking her and threatening her. We had a relationship for a time and I also financially assisted her when she was short on cash. Most times i just gave it, other time she asked to borrow. Then all of a sudden she stopped communicating with me and I left a couple notes on her car. None were threatening. Just that we needed to talk and put this to an end some how. Maybe I should have just let it go, but when she asked for money just before the communication stopped, I left the messages on her car. Then this happened, the email and phone call to my work. I know i said zero recourse, but lots of people I work with saw this email. So i feel things may have been damaged for me at work. Promotions, etc...

quincy

Arizona

I advise that you and the person you were involved with keep your personal matters out of the workplace. If your personal life starts to infringe on your work life, you can reasonably expect to be fired, regardless of whether what is being claimed about you is true or false.

I suggest you stop all contact with the person. No more notes, no emails, no phone calls, no nothing. Otherwise you may find yourself the recipient of a restraining order.

If this person continues to contact you or your workplace, see an attorney in your area. The attorney can draft and send a cease and desist letter with a threat to sue.

Just Blue

zero recourse- they are not holding what was said against me, but if these communications regarding me continue, they will investigate. What was likely said was that I was stalking her and threatening her. We had a relationship for a time and I also financially assisted her when she was short on cash. Most times i just gave it, other time she asked to borrow. Then all of a sudden she stopped communicating with me and I left a couple notes on her car. None were threatening. Just that we needed to talk and put this to an end some how. Maybe I should have just let it go, but when she asked for money just before the communication stopped, I left the messages on her car. Then this happened, the email and phone call to my work. I know i said zero recourse, but lots of people I work with saw this email. So i feel things may have been damaged for me at work. Promotions, etc...
Do you work for law enforcement or something? Why would your work investigate an allegation of stalking from your ex?

File a small claims case for the money you lent her.

This person does not work at my company. I think she did this as a personal attack against me in order to damage my reputation with my superiors at work.

They did not elaborate. This person did work at my company several years ago, but our relationship started well after they left. This is how they were able to contact all my supervisors. So that is why i used the word attack.

quincy

Here is a link to Arizona’s defamation law, published by the Digital Media Law Project (2014):
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/arizona-defamation-law

The reason your employer cannot do anything is because the argument you are having is not with an employee. It is a personal dispute between you and the person.

No employer wants to deal with employees’ personal matters. They want only that their employees do the work they were hired to do.

My company told me they would investigate if it continues. But I am worried about repercussions/personal damage that cant be proven at this time because my supervisors are privy to this initial email and phone call

Just Blue

My company told me they would investigate if it continues. But I am worried about repercussions/personal damage that cant be proven at this time because my supervisors are privy to this initial email and phone call
What kind of company is this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">