• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LGBTQ issues and private school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
the beginning of the J.K. Rowling business began in a class discussion when the teacher asked everyone to name a celebrity they admired. One student said they liked J.K. Rowling because she “hates the switcheroos” (the student’s words, not mine) and that started a big debate in the classroom. That teacher shut it down, saying it wasn’t appropriate for the classroom.
This was an ideal opportunity for a teaching moment. It's unfortunate that the teacher was unable (for whatever reason) to take that opportunity.

While I agree that it would have been more helpful if Mom were to brainstorn possible solutions, it really does appear that Admin's more interested in creating an appearance of solving the problem than actually doing so. It seems quite clear that all y'all just want "the problem" (aka the trans child) to go away. None of you have to "agree" with the situation, but as educators, it shocks me that you don't see the problem with how you're handling it.

I agree that money needs to be found for legal fees. Apart from this child (who you are failing, and I don't mean in the sense of grades), there will be more. I applaud her for her strength of character in standing up for herself.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I can tell people here have strong feelings on LGBTQ issues, and I truly mean no offense.
Yes, many of us do. There are some who would also agree with you (but they seem to be *cough* unavailable at the moment). At the end of the day, you are failing all of your students by attempting to just get rid of "the problem"... Sad.

You are not being inclusive. Inclusivity would mean the child uses the bathroom that conforms to their gender identity. You have singled this child out. If you are an educated counselor, you should understand this. You are not providing kindness and tolerance for this child according to what you have stated:

Switcheroos? You really think that is showing kindness and tolerance? Was that student corrected and punished for bullying? Or did you do nothing because you didn't care? I hate bigots like that student and anyone who supports that student. Seriously, if you are a licensed counselor you should know that that is not appropriate and understand what is wrong with what has been stated. I can show you more examples of how you are NOT showing kindness and tolerance to this student based on your own words.
the teacher involved in the J.K.Rowling discussion brought it quickly to an end, as we have a policy to not allow discussions of a political nature in the classroom. But no, the student who made the comment was not punished. Th teacher asked a question and this student answered honestly.

this is one of the problem we have now seen - having a trans or LGBTQ child in the classroom inhibits the others from being able to express themselves naturally, as they are scared someone will accuse them of homophobia. It inhibits the flow of what has previously been great discussion, this need to tiptoe around certain issues.

most of the public schools around us have LGBTQ Clubs or gay-straight alliance clubs and are set up to deal with the problems that come from such a*diverse* population of students, whereas we are not. I really think it is to this child’s benefit to leave our school, despite their ADHD diagnosis.

like I said, this student is incrediblybright, maybe even ivy-league bright, and could probably succeed in any academic program, not just ours for learning differences

It probably seems misguided to you, but I am looking out for this child. I want this child to go to school where they aren’t hated by every other student.

adjusterjack

I guess we need to find the funds for a lawyer.
Not "we." You said this was a private school. Where is the owner in all this? You know, the person who pockets the profits. They're the one who should be addressing this with the advice of their attorney and, preferably, the assistance of a professional counsellor who is experienced in such matters.

You and your teachers are getting it wrong. I'm guessing that the mother isn't interested in a "meeting" because all she'll hear are the same excuses you are giving us.

PS: That last post of yours - pure unadulterated bullshit, if I may be forgiven by my colleagues for "expressing myself naturally."

:mad:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
the teacher involved in the J.K.Rowling discussion brought it quickly to an end, as we have a policy to not allow discussions of a political nature in the classroom. But no, the student who made the comment was not punished. Th teacher asked a question and this student answered honestly.

this is one of the problem we have now seen - having a trans or LGBTQ child in the classroom inhibits the others from being able to express themselves naturally, as they are scared someone will accuse them of homophobia. It inhibits the flow of what has previously been great discussion, this need to tiptoe around certain issues.

most of the public schools around us have LGBTQ Clubs or gay-straight alliance clubs and are set up to deal with the problems that come from such a*diverse* population of students, whereas we are not. I really think it is to this child’s benefit to leave our school, despite their ADHD diagnosis.

like I said, this student is incrediblybright, maybe even ivy-league bright, and could probably succeed in any academic program, not just ours for learning differences

It probably seems misguided to you, but I am looking out for this child. I want this child to go to school where they aren’t hated by every other student.
Well maybe if they weren't homophobes or bigots they wouldn't be inhibited. Tiptoe? You are so showing yourself as a bigot. You blame LGBTQ students for your other students' ignorance, hatred, and bigotry. The hatred, ignorance and bigotry is the problem. SWITCHEROO? You think that is appropriate? Allowing a student to be a bigot is considered honesty? Okay, you are bigoted jerk and should lose whatever licensure you have for your ignorance. You are not looking out for this child. You are trying to get rid of a child you consider a problem so you can go back to allowing bigotry, hatred and homophobia unimpeded. Again, this child is not the problem. YOU are the problem as is your school and administration. How is that for honesty?
Maybe your school should educate the students on compassion and not allow bullying. Good grief. How many minorities are in your school? I can guess. You would have been part of the parents spitting on the Little Rock 9 back during desegregation.

Not "we." You said this was a private school. Where is the owner in all this? You know, the person who pockets the profits. They're the one who should be addressing this with the advice of their attorney and, preferably, the assistance of a professional counsellor who is experience in such matters.

You and your teachers are getting it wrong. I'm guessing that the mother isn't interested in a "meeting" because all she'll hear are the same excuses you are giving us.
I am the professional counselor and one of the board members. So I will take this suggestion to the board. Thank you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Maybe they'll be accused of homophobia because..... they're spouting homophobic idiocy? "tiptoe around "certain" issues? How about educating the other kids? I wonder - how many PoC are part of your student body?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I am the professional counselor
I have trouble believing that you're licensed. Be that as it may....

I will admit my bias. My daughter came out in college, but she was bullied in HS as people thought she was gay. The school did *nothing* - just like y'all are. I always thought she was gay (she's not, as it happens), but was too ignorant at the time to act on certain things - plus she wanted to handle things herself. It was only when she came out as trans that it all clicked.

Well maybe if they weren't homophobes or bigots they wouldn't be inhibited. Tiptoe? You are so showing yourself as a bigot. You blame LGBTQ students for your other students' ignorance, hatred, and bigotry. The hatred, ignorance and bigotry is the problem. SWITCHEROO? You think that is appropriate? Allowing a student to be a bigot is considered honesty? Okay, you are bigoted jerk and should lose whatever licensure you have for your ignorance. You are not looking out for this child. You are trying to get rid of a child you consider a problem so you can go back to allowing bigotry, hatred and homophobia unimpeded. Again, this child is not the problem. YOU are the problem as is your school and administration. How is that for honesty?
Maybe your school should educate the students on compassion and not allow bullying. Good grief. How many minorities are in your school? I can guess. You would have been part of the parents spitting on the Little Rock 9 back during desegregation.
I am not a bigot or homophobic. However, I have to ensure the school stays financially solvent and I do that by not offending the parents of students who pay (vs scholarship/financial aid) full tuition.

we are 92% Caucasian, 3% Hispanic, 3% African American, and 2% Asian. We have a good mix of religious beliefs as well.

i do want this problem to go away because I don’t want this child to suffer. I also don’t want our school to suffer if other parents withdraw their kids and we lose funding. this child was awarded a small amount of need based financial ad, as the mother is a single parent. Next year, the child would have gotten an entire scholarship for academic excellence, except for the excessive absences.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am not a bigot or homophobic. However, I have to ensure the school stays financially solvent and I do that by not offending the parents of students who pay (vs scholarship/financial aid) full tuition.

we are 92% Caucasian, 3% Hispanic, 3% African American, and 2% Asian. We have a good mix of religious beliefs as well.

i do want this problem to go away because I don’t want this child to suffer. I also don’t want our school to suffer if other parents withdraw their kids and we lose funding. this child was awarded a small amount of need based financial ad, as the mother is a single parent. Next year, the child would have gotten an entire scholarship for academic excellence, except for the excessive absences.
If I were licensed in Texas, I would volunteer to sue the school on behalf of this child. And yes, you are a bigot and homophobic. If you weren't, you would see what is wrong with a student referring to others as "switcheroos". You don't care about this child. You care more about having a pristine school made up only of people you prefer. At least be honest because everyone on this thread but you can see that you are a bigot and homophobe and don't care about this child -- except for you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So this is even *less* about the child being trans, and more about $$$. Your situation will get worse when (not if) you're sued. Time to jump ship.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I find it interesting... IME, those who insist that they are not bigots? Just refuse to look in the mirror. Others? Look in the mirror, see their biases, and actively work to resolve them.

ETA: This is one of the reasons my other daughter has decided to home-school her kids. She loves her sister and is all too aware of what idiocy is propagated in our schools - both public and private.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">