• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employer forbid me to have a P/T job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have worked for the same company for almost three years. It's a small company owned by the same person for 27 years. They have plenty of odd and irritating rules. One of them is forbidding all employees to have a part-time job.

In the past, before this job, I have held two jobs most of my adult life. I enjoy the extra income and having something to do with my spare time. It has never interfered with my full time job. I often think that I'd like to have a part-time job again.

One of my friends at work has been waiting tables on the weekends for a few months. Somehow, my boss found out and told her today that she has until the end of the year to work out her notice at that job. She told her that employees have been fired before for working a second job. She also said that she would force her to choose.

So here's my question- Can an employer dictate to its employees how they spend their time outside of work? That's exactly what I feel they're doing (and most of my co-workers seem to feel the same).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
An employer may have policies that forbid moonlighting, which is what having a second job entails. I'm not saying that's necessarily fair, and I'm not saying I agree with an across-the-board policy forbidding second jobs, but there is nothing illegal about such a policy.

allfiredup said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have worked for the same company for almost three years. It's a small company owned by the same person for 27 years. They have plenty of odd and irritating rules. One of them is forbidding all employees to have a part-time job.

In the past, before this job, I have held two jobs most of my adult life. I enjoy the extra income and having something to do with my spare time. It has never interfered with my full time job. I often think that I'd like to have a part-time job again.

One of my friends at work has been waiting tables on the weekends for a few months. Somehow, my boss found out and told her today that she has until the end of the year to work out her notice at that job. She told her that employees have been fired before for working a second job. She also said that she would force her to choose.

So here's my question- Can an employer dictate to its employees how they spend their time outside of work? That's exactly what I feel they're doing (and most of my co-workers seem to feel the same).

Anytime you are employed by someone else then you have to obey their rules and procedures. Since most states allow people to terminate employment at will then you need to follow their rules if you care about that job more than the other one you are working. Technically, they could only fire or discipline you if the second job interfers with the duties of your pri**** job. They would more than likely would say that it does and get away with it... so proceed at your own risk....

C

CheeseBlotto

RedemptionMan said:
Technically, they could only fire or discipline you if the second job interfers with the duties of your pri**** job.
Where on earth do you get this idea? At will means I can fire you for any reason or no reason whatsoever. I can fire you for having a part time job regardless of whether it interferes with your first job. I can also fire you because I don't like the color of your shirt.

CheeseBlotto said:
Where on earth do you get this idea? At will means I can fire you for any reason or no reason whatsoever. I can fire you for having a part time job regardless of whether it interferes with your first job. I can also fire you because I don't like the color of your shirt.
Yes and it also means that I can quit anytime a better opportunity presents itself or when ever I choose as well as an employee...

C

CheeseBlotto

RedemptionMan said:
Yes and it also means that I can quit anytime a better opportunity presents itself or when ever I choose as well as an employee...
Correct, unlike the last half of your prior post.

CheeseBlotto said:
Correct, unlike the last half of your prior post.
It was a general statement for if you fire a person for some BS reason other than job duties and performance then that makes unemployment easier to get and in turn increases the employers insurance rates.... :p

C

CheeseBlotto

RedemptionMan said:
It was a general statement for if you fire a person for some BS reason other than job duties and performance then that makes unemployment easier to get and in turn increases the employers insurance rates.... :p
This is equally wrong. Why are you coming on a board intended to help people and dispensing incorrect information? What is one's motivation to do so?

CheeseBlotto said:
This is equally wrong. Why are you coming on a board intended to help people and dispensing incorrect information? What is one's motivation to do so?
If you fire somebody for a no fault of their own they can file unemployment insurance against the employer -- look on any state unemployment website.

2. It does make your federal insurance umeployment rates increase and if you do not think it does then by all means tell me what la la land you live in?

If you were to fire someone after they have been told and know for certain that a second job is against company policy, then a case can be made for termination for insubordination.

The poster could file for unemployment, but I would expect the company to fight it on the grounds I listed above.

I am not saying it's fair, but it is a possiblity.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It does make your federal insurance umeployment rates increase and if you do not think it does then by all means tell me what la la land you live in?

And what la la land do you live it, that you think unemployment rates are federal?

HomeGuru

RedemptionMan said:
If you fire somebody for a no fault of their own they can file unemployment insurance against the employer -- look on any state unemployment website.

2. It does make your federal insurance umeployment rates increase and if you do not think it does then by all means tell me what la la land you live in?

**A: hahaha, what a riot. You know not of what you speak.

HomeGuru said:
**A: hahaha, what a riot. You know not of what you speak.
hahaha
so just to humor your knowledge or the lack there of here is a couple of sites to reference...
this is a north carolina site for unemployment notice it says no fault of your own.
http://www.ncesc.com/individual/UI/UiClaims2.asp

oh and another that talks about unemployment ratesl
and geez quess what they do increase as well.....
http://jfs.ohio.gov/ouc/uctax/rates.stm

they are state not federal oh ok geez///////

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So whose lack of knowledge do we refer to now?

This is what we mean about your providing incorrect information.

HomeGuru

RedemptionMan said:

**A: ok idiot, you state that an individual "can file unemployment against the employer". One does not file against the employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">