• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employer forbid me to have a P/T job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
you can file unemployment for a no fault of your own seperation and it does make that employers unemployment rates increase

Please show me where in this statement you say, imply or otherwise indicate that there is any possibility of the claim NOT increasing the employer's unemployment rates.

pattytx

OK, I wasn't gonna go here, but let's get Federal UI taxes straight. There is a federal Unemployment Insurance tax on the first $7,000 in taxable wages per employee, paid entirely by the employer. The gross rate is 6.2%, of which the employer can take a credit of 5.4% (no matter what the employer's SUI rate is) if the UI taxes to the state are paid in full and on time, resulting in the net rate being .8%. The only exception to this is if the state has borrowed money from the federal UI fund to supplemental their UI coffers, and has not paid it back. Then the 5.4% credit is reduced or eliminated altogether. This year, only New York is in this arrears situation.

The federal UI fund is NOT used to provide benefits directly to ex-employees. Ex-employees DO NOT file a claim with the federal government. The federal UI taxes are primarily used as a "bank" from which states can borrow to meet their state UI benefit obligations.

STATE UI rates vary by employer. The rate does depend on the employer's "experience rating" (the amount of benefits for which the employer is "charged"), once the employer has been in business for a certain period of time and an experience history can be established, although the weight given to such experience rating also varies by state.

Now, is that enough? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
mlane58 said:
Thats only if he is wearing his BIG BOY PANTS and I believe that he can't find a pair that fits.
Geez yall girls crack me up...... legal comments about my package very proper indeed**************... :eek:

CheeseBlotto said:
Where on earth do you get this idea? At will means I can fire you for any reason or no reason whatsoever. I can fire you for having a part time job regardless of whether it interferes with your first job. I can also fire you because I don't like the color of your shirt.
I don't think that's true. If an employer breaks the law firing someone, say for a type of illegal discrimination, then there are legal remedies. For instance try "I can also fire you because I don't like the color of your skin". and see what happens.

mlane58

I don't think that's true. If an employer breaks the law firing someone, say for a type of illegal discrimination, then there are legal remedies. For instance try "I can also fire you because I don't like the color of your skin". and see what happens.
If you don't know, then your post is useless. An at will employer can terminate anyones employment for any reason they like as long as it isn't an act of illegal discrimination under Title VII (race, religion, national origin etc.).

BelizeBreeze

Lacy_UnderAlls said:
Try staying on point and learning something about the law. :rolleyes:

panzertanker

Lacy_UnderAlls said:
I don't think that's true.
You think wrong.

Georgia is an at-will employment state. Seperation for any reason that does not violate anything in Title VII IS legal. Including that your shirt is blue, or the sky is green......

weenor

Legal Comments

RedemptionMan said:
Geez yall girls crack me up...... legal comments about my package very proper indeed**************... :eek:

If anyone were making legal comments about "your package" I believe the proper "legal" term would be de minimus non curat lex. I'll let you look that one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">