• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentality Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2012Louisiana

Can someone advise me on this? I was in a long term relationship with my former employer and things got pretty bad after his wife found out. Eventually he terminated me. We went through a mediator and I ended up settling. In the end he had me sign a confidentality agreement stating I can't discuss my termination or anything that was brought up during the mediation. What would happen if I decided to talk about our previous relationship?

LdiJ

Can someone advise me on this? I was in a long term relationship with my former employer and things got pretty bad after his wife found out. Eventually he terminated me. We went through a mediator and I ended up settling. In the end he had me sign a confidentality agreement stating I can't discuss my termination or anything that was brought up during the mediation. What would happen if I decided to talk about our previous relationship?
Why would you want to do that? Why would you want to take that risk? Leave it be.

justalayman

What would happen if I decided to talk about our previous relationship?
generally that would be controlled by what is in the agreement but if there is nothing specific, what could happen is the other party could sue you for any damages incurred which could possibly include a suit for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

2012Louisiana

generally that would be controlled by what is in the agreement but if there is nothing specific, what could happen is the other party could sue you for any damages incurred which could possibly include a suit for intentional infliction of emotional distress.
I should have never signed this but I needed the money. I could not get a job right after this and I had bills. It's not like he gave me a huge amount it was only 3 months pay. I have alot of scars from the events that occurred during our relationship. He can go on with his life like nothing happened and hasn't told the truth about these events to his family or anyone. I am hurt!!! I know that I need to let it be. :( The hurtful side of me wants him to take responsibilty and admit to his wrong doings also. He has ALOT more to loose than I did. I can't even get another job like the one I had because of the way he terminated me and the embarrasment he caused. The ugly human side of me wants to see him fall hard and hurt like I have. The nice human side says he will have to answer for his wrong one day. Thank you for answering me.

2012Louisiana

The emotional distress and intentional infliction is what he caused when he publicly humiliated me. :( Thank you for you advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let me ask you a question, and please believe I am not being snarky; I am asking this for a purpose with a definite idea in mind.

How would discussing these issues (and with who?) help you?

swalsh411

You cashed that check and agreed not to talk about it. And now you are asking if it's OK to talk about? What kind of ethical standards do you hold yourself to? I hope you do not have children.

2012Louisiana

Let me ask you a question, and please believe I am not being snarky; I am asking this for a purpose with a definite idea in mind.

How would discussing these issues (and with who?) help you?
This is were the ugly side of me comes out. :( Discussing the issues would explain the real reason as to why he terminated me and allow people to see what he put me through for years. It would reveal the inconsiderate person he really is and most probably damage his position and career. I am not a mean person I promise!! I just feel he is getting away with his lies and I am having to live with somethings I can't even tell my family.

eerelations

It doesn't matter if it was three months' pay or three minutes' pay, the document you signed has force in law. If you breach this agreement by talking about what happened, your former employer can sue you and will win if he does so. I expect this will probably add to your humiliation.

I didn't say the above to be mean, I really want you to understand that breaching this agreement will not help you get over this. All it wil do is cause you more grief and misery. You need to find another, legal way to get over this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, what I had in mind doesn't apply given your response. And that's not snarky either, it's just a statement of fact. :)

2012Louisiana

It doesn't matter if it was three months' pay or three minutes' pay, the document you signed has force in law. If you breach this agreement by talking about what happened, your former employer can sue you and will win if he does so. I expect this will probably add to your humiliation.

I didn't say the above to be mean, I really want you to understand that breaching this agreement will not help you get over this. All it wil do is cause you more grief and misery. You need to find another, legal way to get over this.
I sincerely appreciate your advise. That is why I asked because I don't know what would happen. What other legal way would help me? Thank you!!

ESteele

One, OP, you can reread your severance agreement to appreciate the likely consequences of your breaching its confidential provisions. I would presume the agreement incorporates a substantial liquidated damages clause and/or other clauses setting forth what your employer could obtain if you breach confidentiality.

Two, why do you want to cause harm to your former lover? Presumably, you were both adults. You both engaged in consensual adult conduct. Nothing in your posts indicates that he harassed you or took advantage of you in any way. You understood that he was married when you commenced the affair. You had to realize that you would likely come out “on the short end of the stick” if and when your affair soured. The fact your married former supervisor now wants to cover up his illicit relationship with you is not surprising.

Your potential efforts to expose him likely are unlawful and will have significant deleterious repercussions for you. Instead of giving into your “ugly side,” you should listen to the parts of you which make you “beautiful.” Respectfully, you should take the high road, own your own mistakes and move on.

eerelations

What other legal way would help me?
There is no way, legal or otherwise, that you can expose your former employer without getting yourself into a whole lot of hot water. Period.

I reco you do the mature thing - just forget about this whole nasty business and move on with your life. What's that saying? "The best revenge is living well." This applies very well to your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">