• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for being pregnant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heyitsdan03

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My girlfriend previously worked at Goodwill Indistries and was fired becasue she got pregnant with twins and was advised by the doctor not to lift more than 25lbs. Is there anything that can be done about that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Pregnancy does not fall under the ADA - no accomodation is required.

Being fired BECAUSE you are pregnant is illegal.

Being fired BECAUSE you are unable to fulfill the requirements of the position is not, EVEN IF the reason you are unable to fulfill them is due to pregnancy.

So the answer to Ron's question is very important.

swalsh411

ADA can apply to a pregnancy if it limits major life activities. That could be the case with a twin pregnancy that limits ordinary lifting of things. I was asking because if not enough people work there then it doesn't even need to be considered.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unlike FMLA, neither the ADA or the PDA deals with the number of employees per location; it's employees, period. I think you'll find that there are more than 15 employees working for Goodwill Industries nationwide.

EVEN IF this is one of the extremely rare cases when the ADA applies to pregnancy, the ADA still does not require that essential functions of the position be eliminated. So we're STILL in need of the answers to Ron's question before we go too far down the speculation road.

heyitsdan03

Does her job require her to lift more than 25 pounds? Did she ask for an acomodation?
She worked at a retail store and her job was to sort, clean up, and price donated items while occasionally running the cash register. It was a rarity that something came along that was more than 25lbs and even when they did there were at least 3 other people working at the time helping out and doing the same job she was. She was not the only one to be fired for that. A few months prior to her firing, another girl was fired for the same reason, although she was not a high risk pregnancy and didn't have that restriction. her being pregnant didnt in any way hinder her ability to do her job.

tranquility

Pregnancy is not a disability. The EEOC says:
(3) Pregnancy -- Because pregnancy is not the result of a physiological disorder, it is not an impairment. 29 C.F.R. pt. 1630 app. § 1630.2(h); see also Byerly v. Herr Foods, Inc., 61 EPD Par. 42,226, 2 AD Cas. (BNA) 666 (E.D. Pa. 1993). Complications resulting from pregnancy, however, are impairments.10

Example 1 -- CP is in the third trimester of her pregnancy. Her pregnancy has proceeded well, and she has developed no complications. CP does not have an impairment. Pregnancy, by itself, is not an impairment.

Example 2 -- Same as Example 1, above, except CP has developed hypertension. CP has an impairment, hypertension. (Remember that the mere presence of an impairment does not automatically mean that CP has a disability. Whether the hypertension rises to the level of a disability will turn on whether the impairment substantially limits, or is regarded as substantially limiting, a major life activity.)
Now, we would have to see more facts on the doctor's recommendation to see if not lifting could be considered an substantially limiting impairment. We do know the limitation is going to end when the pregnancy ends (or soon thereafter), so, it makes it less likely there is an impairment of the type the ADA envisions.
(2) The following factors should be considered in determining whether an individual is substantially limited in a major life activity:

(i) The nature and severity of the impairment;

(ii) The duration or expected duration of the impairment; and

(iii) The permanent or long term impact, or the expected permanent or long term impact of or resulting from the impairment.
There, the factors are not good for the lifting limitation. Substantially limits includes:
(d) Duration and Impact of Impairment -- One of the factors that may be relevant to whether an impairment is substantially limiting is the duration of the impairment. The length of time that an impairment affects major life activities may help to determine whether the impairment substantially limits those activities. As with all other matters, the determination must be made on a case-by-case basis. There are no set time limits for determining whether an impairment is of sufficient duration to be considered substantially limiting. There are, however, a few basic guidelines.

Generally, conditions that last for only a few days or weeks and have no permanent or long-term effects on an individual's health are not substantially limiting impairments. Examples of such transitory conditions are common colds, influenza, and most broken bones and sprains. The mere fact that an individual may have required absolute bed rest or hospitalization for such a condition does not alter the transitory nature of the condition. Even the necessity of surgery, without more, is not sufficient to raise a short-term condition to the level of a disability. Thus, for example, an employee who had an undisclosed temporary illness that required exploratory surgery but who was expected to recover completely in six to eight weeks did not have an impairment that substantially limited major life activities. Stevens v. Stubbs, 576 F. Supp. 1409, 1 AD Cas. (BNA) 546 (N.D. Ga. 1983). In that case, a temporary illness with no permanent effects on the individual's health was not a substantially limiting impairment. 576 F. Supp. at 1414, 1 AD Cas. at 549-50. Similarly, an employee who incurred a knee injury that required surgery was not an individual with a disability. Evans v. City of Dallas, 861 F.2d 846, 49 EPD Par. 38,674, 1 AD Cas. (BNA) 1394 (5th Cir. 1988). Although the injury may have limited the employee's major life activities during his recuperation, it did not continue to do so after his recuperation. See 861 F.2d at 852-53, 49 EPD at 55,700, 1 AD Cas. at 1398-99 (quoting district court opinion). For the same reason, an attack of appendicitis accompanied by a "routine" appendectomy would not constitute a disability. The condition might restrict an individual's activities for a few days or weeks, but the restrictions would be only temporary.
Here the lifting limitation fares better, but not clearly envisioned. Days and weeks are not a substantial limitation, months can be.

Personally, I'm not so sure that the OP has much here.

commentator

My question is how long ago was this? From the way the OP is talking, he is not right in the middle of this, this is something that happened to his girlfriend some time back.

heyitsdan03

As the pregnancy progressed a few complications came up so we wanted to wait until the babies were born and coming along well before we tried to pursue anything.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, you need to get on the stick because your time to file a claim is not unlimited - or, I should say, HER time to file a claim is not unlimited; you have no standing to do anything. The EEOC allows 180 days to file a claim - this CAN be extended to 300 days depending on state laws. But if she's already let 6 months go by, even if she has a valid claim (and I'm not convinced that she does), she's not got a lot of time to take any action. (One of the first questions that will be asked is why she waited so long...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">