• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workplace harrassment/hostile work environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CDW0512

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My daughter is currently working for her significant other's mother. The employer often discussed contentious "personal matters" in front of other employees or calls my daughter into her office to discuss "personal" matters. My daughter has repeatedly asked her employer not to do this as it makes her uncomfortable and she would be more comfortable keeping personal and business matters separate. Her employer said that she would "accommodate" her request, but still continues to do this. It is my opinion that her employer is using her position of authority as an intimidation tactic in an attempt to get my daughter to do what the employer wants her to do in my daughter's relationship with her boyfriend.

She is actively looking for another position, but do you have any suggestions for her in the meantime?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My daughter is currently working for her significant other's mother. The employer often discussed contentious "personal matters" in front of other employees or calls my daughter into her office to discuss "personal" matters. My daughter has repeatedly asked her employer not to do this as it makes her uncomfortable and she would be more comfortable keeping personal and business matters separate. Her employer said that she would "accommodate" her request, but still continues to do this. It is my opinion that her employer is using her position of authority as an intimidation tactic in an attempt to get my daughter to do what the employer wants her to do in my daughter's relationship with her boyfriend.

She is actively looking for another position, but do you have any suggestions for her in the meantime?
This is not necessarily a hostile work environment. Your daughter needs to be an adult. She can look for another job or she can deal with what is here -- she could also quit. Unless these personal matters are of a legally protected nature, your daughter has choices. She can't control the employer however.

commentator

This is not a legal issue. If she is the employer, she can do pretty much whatever she wants to, as far as how she treats the employees. She can pry, talk mean to them, threaten to fire, make a difference in the way she treats different ones. And it's all pretty much legally allowed.

Your daughter is going to have to develop a duck's back, (where things slide off) and visualize herself as a consummate professional, trapped in an unprofessional situation for a while, but if the woman is going to behave as you describe, she does not need to be working there anyway, and she knows it. Being cool and using phrases like, "Well, I'd rather not discuss that right now" and then REFUSE TO TALK ABOUT IT is a good idea. The woman has only the power your daughter give her. She is obviously a bully. If she hits or physically assaults her, your daughter should call the police and press charges. Anything up to that, including shouting at her or talking rudely to her, she should ignore and brush off and deal with by cool politeness or silence or ignoring her.

Meantime, she should be looking diligently for another job. If she quits the job due to these issues, she probably won't be able to get approved for unemployment. If her boss gets angry and fires her without a good reason, (like for her refusal to discuss her personal life on the job or air family grievances) she would likely be able to get approved for unemployment while looking for something else while she is looking.

So many people think that the boss, the person who occupies the authority figure has ultimate life and death power over them, as if the distant threat of "i'll fire you" is equivalent to destroying your life forever, It's not. I hope her boyfriend did not learn his ways of dealing with people from his mother, or there may be many problems on down the line with this whole family.

eerelations

Illegal harassment is defined as negative workplace behaviour and actions that are based specifically on the recipient's race, gender, religion, age and/or disability. A hostile work environment as defined in law is one where illegal harassment is taking place. Nothing in your post indicates that your daughter's employer's behaviour is based on your daughter's race, gender, religion and/or disability. Ergo, your daughter's workplace is not a hostile work environment as defined by law.

Your daughter has no case against her employer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Illegal harassment is defined as negative workplace behaviour and actions that are based specifically on the recipient's race, gender, religion, age and/or disability. A hostile work environment as defined in law is one where illegal harassment is taking place. Nothing in your post indicates that your daughter's employer's behaviour is based on your daughter's race, gender, religion and/or disability. Ergo, your daughter's workplace is not a hostile work environment as defined by law.

Your daughter has no case against her employer.
I think you forgot one that is illegal harassment and it is one I was thinking of when I wrote not necessarily hostile.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Which one have I forgotten? Is harassment based on marital/relationship status illegal in CA?
I was thinking sexual harassment (the idea of discussing sexual activity or such) when someone asks to stop. Maybe you included that under another one. But that is why I said not necessarily hostile but if MIL is being that personal... and wn't stop.

eerelations

I didn't think the OP's daughter's boss is talking about sex to her, I thought "personal matters" just meant stuff in the daughter's personal life.

OP is your daughter's boss talking about sex to your daughter?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I didn't think the OP's daughter's boss is talking about sex to her, I thought "personal matters" just meant stuff in the daughter's personal life.

OP is your daughter's boss talking about sex to your daughter?
I just figured it was possible. Depends on what the personal matters are but it most likely IS NOT a hostile workplace.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">