• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court orders preventing ex girlfriend from having an abortion or attempting suicide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

Not going to get a court order to prevent the mother from getting an abortion if you are in the U.S.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/428/52.html
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/505/833.html

Also, a court is not going to order a person to not commit suicide. If they think there is a real risk as presented to them by qualified people, they might put the person under observation.

DanielleNorman

You mentioned putting her under observation, how would I do that and where would I go? She has already overdosed on pain pills once while a few weeks pregnant. There is hospital and outpatient mental health records to prove it. I also have text messages to show that she has threatened suicide. By the way, she quit going to counseling for her mental health issues.

Silverplum

You mentioned putting her under observation, how would I do that and where would I go? She has already overdosed on pain pills once while a few weeks pregnant. There is hospital and outpatient mental health records to prove it. I also have text messages to show that she has threatened suicide. By the way, she quit going to counseling for her mental health issues.
Which US state??

(Not that it matters: you don't have that level of control over her here.)

tranquility

If you have specific information in regards to an imminent threat to herself or others, call the police. Nothing in your post indicates that.

Proserpina

Who are you in this mess?

What makes you think you have any say in her life?

(And really, good luck getting those mental health records. Really.)

LdiJ

You do not have standing to try to do anything about that. Only her family would have standing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The family however could petition the court to have her committed but the OP could not.
I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to find the statute that allows an individual to petition the court directly for an involuntary commitment in Texas. Can you point this out?

tranquility

The family however could petition the court to have her committed but the OP could not.
Commitment hearings for a person who is a danger to himself or others are usually initiated by the police or physician though a 72 hour hold process. It is a State issue. The person who give the police or the physician the relevant information can be anyone. Long-term commitment by hearing and court order because the person is unable to care for himself or others is usually initiated by people who are related in some way.

DanielleNorman

I am the wife of the father of the baby. Since he he is not capable of understanding his rights, he asked me to find out. We were separated when he was with her. We live in Texas. He is just wanting to protect his baby and I am choosing to support him through this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">