• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im 16, Hes 20 almost 21, and I might be pregnant.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio.
Okay, I'm a 16 year old girl, and I might possibly be pregnant, and I am currently engaged, the father (if I am in fact pregnant) is 20, soon to be 21 on November
18th. I was wondering if it was possible for us to get married without parental conset, because my father does not approve of us being together, and dont even know about us being together. My father does not take care of me really, he makes a big deal of getting me medicine for a cold, and will not take me to get a papsmear done; which is very important in a womans life. Yes my father does have bills to pay, and i do have a roof over my head, a place to sleep and food. But my father gets his girlfriend and her 10 year old daughter everything they want, but neglects to get me things that i need. My mother passed away on September 17th of 2008. But all in all, I was just wondering if i could get married to my fiance without my fathers permisson as long as we got court approval. My fiance and I are currently un-employed, but we are looking for a job.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
No, you must have your parent's consent.

3101.01 Persons who may be joined in marriage - minor to obtain consent.
(A) Male persons of the age of eighteen years, and female persons of the age of sixteen years, not nearer of kin than second cousins, and not having a husband or wife living, may be joined in marriage. A marriage may only be entered into by one man and one woman. A minor shall first obtain the consent of the minor’s parents, surviving parent, parent who is designated the residential parent and legal custodian of the minor by a court of competent jurisdiction, guardian, or any one of the following who has been awarded permanent custody of the minor by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction:

I left out the "any one of the following" part because that does not apply to you. You have a parent.

ecmst12

BUT, you can go to planned parenthood and get your GYN exams AND BIRTH CONTROL without anyone's consent.

Is there anything legally that my father can do to him if I am in fact pregnant? Because we have both heard that the only thing he can do, since i am age of consent, is file a restraining order against him.

Proserpina

Is there anything legally that my father can do to him if I am in fact pregnant? Because we have both heard that the only thing he can do, since i am age of consent, is file a restraining order against him.
You probably need to find out if you are indeed pregnant before anything else.

Proserpina

Also, would my father be able to file for child support even if I dont want it?
No.

But you cannot legally waive child support in this situation...you don't have to actually file (which realistically amounts to the same thing) but that begs the question...why not?

Dad has no control over your child.

Thank you all for your advice and help!
I plan on taking a test this thursday at a free clinic. Then in two weeks taking a home pregnancy test.

Proserpina

I plan on taking a test this thursday at a free clinic. Then in two weeks taking a home pregnancy test.
Uh...call me cynical but why?

A home test is unlikely to be more reliable than the tests they generally use in a clinical setting.

Banned_Princess

We don't mean take 2, the one at the clinic should suffice.

and don't you think it's a little strange to say "Were going to get married -if I'm pregnant"

Seriously youngin, at 16 there's alot you have no idea abut, especially when it comes to men, all you know right now seems to be your hate for your dad, but thats normal, and since that hate is all you know, whatever this pervert is saying to you sounds like love...

If your going to have a baby, fine.. your choice, but know.. no matter what happens between 16 and when you are a grown woman, that SB is still going to be the dad, probably with a different wife, and it has been a world of hurt on you, because you couldn't just leave him where-ever, you had to deal with his crap FOREVER.

Or the dude could be a complete scummer and leave you with a kid you cant pay for and a life you never wanted, all alone.

Get Birth control. As soon as the test from the clinic comes negative, its important... trust me.

Banned_Princess

I know that. Im just going to take one just to find out, in case its too early. If you understand what I mean. Its just a long story.
Uhh, yes the clinics test I believe are the most accurate from like seven days after conception? or 3 weeks before your Missed period?

You think you are 3 days pregnant? Really?....

Proserpina

We don't mean take 2, the one at the clinic should suffice.

and don't you think it's a little strange to say "Were going to get married -if I'm pregnant"

Seriously youngin, at 16 there's alot you have no idea abut, especially when it comes to men, all you know right now seems to be your hate for your dad, but thats normal, and since that hate is all you know, whatever this pervert is saying to you sounds like love...
Uh..pervert?

If your going to have a baby, fine.. your choice, but know.. no matter what happens between 16 and when you are a grown woman, that SB is still going to be the dad, probably with a different wife, and it has been a world of hurt on you, because you couldn't just leave him where-ever, you had to deal with his crap FOREVER.

Or the dude could be a complete scummer and leave you with a kid you cant pay for and a life you never wanted, all alone.

Get Birth control. As soon as the test from the clinic comes negative, its important... trust me.
Dude. Wht?! Seriously?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">