• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights regarding vehicles in my driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swalsh411

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I live on a moderately busy (depends on the season) State road and they are replacing the bridge right down from my house. This just started about a month ago and the bridge is not expected to re-open until the end of the year. There are "road closed" signs 1/2 mile back but of course some people don't see them.

My driveway is very wide and the last "good" place to turn around before you get to the closed bridge. (there are other houses closer to the bridge but they have hidden driveways).

Cars are not an issue because there is easily enough room for even a full sized pickup up safety turn around in the road, but I really do not want tour buses (it's a tourist town so they are plentiful) and campers prematurely wearing out my driveway. They can back up 200 yards down a straight road and turn around at a fire hall which has a huge gravel parking lot.

I've blocked the end up the driveway with saw horses and nailed a "NO TRESPASSING" sign into one of them but people actually have the nerve to get out of their vehicles, move my saw horses, and turn around in my driveway anyway. It's happened at least 5 times in the last 3 weeks and who knows how often when I'm not home. One time I caught a camper from Canada turning around and there was a woman standing in my front yard late at night directing the driver.

I'm wondering what my rights are in terms of confronting people who trespass on my driveway. Can I record them and report them to the State Police?

Indiana Filer

Why not put a couple posts in and then string a cable across the driveway, with a padlock on each end attaching the cable to the fenceposts. You'd have to get out and unhook the cable when you want to enter and leave, but it would stop others from entering the drive. Put the posts/cable up the driveway just far enough in so that cars can turn around but not far enough that it could be useful for buses and RVs if you want to continue to allow cars to turn around.

Personally, I'd put it at the end of the driveway, and everyone could back up to the firehouse to turn around. It might not be annoying right now with cars turning around, but after months and months of this, you're gonna get tired of it. I'm the voice of experience on this.

swalsh411

Two issues with the locked cable idea. #1 is that the ground by the end of the driveway is not deep enough to secure posts, and #2 is that it's a shared driveway with another house and they have the house up for sale. They are absolutely OK with the saw horses and have told prospective buyers who want to look at the outside of the house just to move them but I don't think they would be OK with having to give buyers a combination to a pad lock or having to be there every time with a key to let them in. There is not room to park on the side of the road.

justalayman

Unless you make it impossible for them to use your drive, there will be somebody that takes advantage of you. While it is a nuisance, I think the posts with the cable is the best idea so far. Be sure there is enough flags hanging from it so it is very noticeable.

and make sure it isn't on the highway ROW.

Well, its likely that where they enter the driveway is really not your property at all but an easement for your town/village/county ... are you certain that they are entering your property?

If so, & you have a no trespassing sign up then, yes, you could technically call the police. If they will enforce it is up to them (and you certainly do not want to try a citizens arrest for this). I doubt that they will enforce it because they will not know where your property actually begins.

I guess its just part of living in a society .. I have the same issue & have had people drive onto my perfectly maintained grass too so I understand your anger.

Putting up a barrier? This likely leaves you open to liability. Putting up a sign telling them that there is a better turn-a-round area may be your best solution -- not perfect but it may minimize the issue.

csi7

I would request that a huge sign before the area mentioned that is large enough for buses to turn around in be posted with flashing lights and Dead End in large print be put on the sign post.

You Are Guilty

Two issues with the locked cable idea. #1 is that the ground by the end of the driveway is not deep enough to secure posts, and #2 is that it's a shared driveway with another house and they have the house up for sale.
Anything not secured is going to be moved. A combination padlock is probably your only hope. Tell the neighbors that if a lockbox is good enough to use when selling their home, one on the driveway won't make a difference. Otherwise, I have only two words for you: "Punji sticks"

PS. Where do you live, on a beach? How is the ground not "deep" enough? It should be several thousand miles thick.
Putting up a barrier? This likely leaves you open to liability.
What??

swalsh411

PS. Where do you live, on a beach? How is the ground not "deep" enough? It should be several thousand miles thick.
There is not enough dirt there to pound in a stake. I've tried, they just fall over. You hit rock/stone after only a few inches.

Sure, no reason you can't. I'd recommend that you avoid audio recording...but there really shouldn't be a problem :)
I cannot audio record standing on my own property? I want the video to clearly show I am not giving them permission to be on my driveway.

154NH773

No, they shouldn't turn around in your driveway if you don't want them to.

Try contacting the agency that posted the "road closed" sign and ask them to place barricades in the road with signs saying "Road Closed, Bridge Out, No Turn-around" The barricades can be small enough to drive around for locals, but give full warning with no chance of missing the sign for everyone else.
Perhaps the contractor working on the bridge might be helpful to talk to. Find out the contractor and call their office. They might be able to have a sign erected.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is not enough dirt there to pound in a stake. I've tried, they just fall over. You hit rock/stone after only a few inches.

I cannot audio record standing on my own property? I want the video to clearly show I am not giving them permission to be on my driveway.
I said "avoid". It probably wouldn't make a difference. But, as was mentioned above, I doubt that video of this happening will cause anything to happen to the individuals doing this. It might, however, bolster your case when asking for more signage and help from the folks working on this project.

FlyingRon

My mother had pretty good luck just sticking some traffic cones in front of her driveway. She got them used from a local supply house.

drewguy

Two issues with the locked cable idea. #1 is that the ground by the end of the driveway is not deep enough to secure posts, and #2 is that it's a shared driveway with another house and they have the house up for sale.

I'll bet that you could put a simply hook on the end of the cable between two posts and it would serve the same purpose. A bus driver isn't going to get out and unhook the cable just to turn around. Then you don't need a lock. You could always add an eye hook to the end of the cable as well in case you want to lock it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">