• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How stupid am I for not showing up for court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anarchyrob

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Okay here's the story..

About 5 months ago I got a ticket for expired tags, I went to court and told the judge I needed an extra week, he gave me a week to get it, well I didn't go back to court for the second time, because I am an idiot.
Now I have another speeding ticket that I didn't show up for because, honestly, I think I have brain damage or something.

So, that's 2 counts of failure to appear(contempt) that I am facing in conjunction with the original fines. I've talked to a few people and they said that the judge could incarcerate me for this. I have to go in next week to be booked for the city capius and pay a 50 dollar bond and set a new court date, I'm assuming this will be for both cases.

I understand I have the right to a public defender, etc, my question is do you think the judge will be merciful? Is there a possibility of me working out community service instead of jail time?

By the way, the speeding ticket was for doing 15 over, and I do have my car registered now. Please help, and don't insult me for being terribly irresponsible, I'm already a wreck over this whole situation, I just want to get it over with and move on with my life!

You may think I am retarded, but there's nothing I can do about it now. :(

Thank you,
Rob :(

A

anarchyrob

Also, I've heard of people getting a capius(warrent) recalled and their court date rescheduled, is this only in certain states, or does it apply to all states?

Thanks for the help everyone.

B

BillyBG

Like you said, you're stupid. Now you have to pay for your stupidity. How you pay is up to the judge. If the judge is merciful, you'll end up with fines, probation, and a suspended license.

HomeGuru

anarchyrob said:
Also, I've heard of people getting a capius(warrent) recalled and their court date rescheduled, is this only in certain states, or does it apply to all states?

Thanks for the help everyone.
**A: too funny.

A

anarchyrob

I never said I was stupid, just an idiot. But thanks for telling me what I already know, I was looking for maybe some answers as to how these types of things usually turn out. (PS Did you read the part of my post where I said to NOT insult me? Or are you stupid?)

Homeguru: I realize you're a senior poster here, and that you might perhaps be more familiar with the law than I am, but this is the first time I've ever gotten in trouble, up until this point in my life, I have never had to worry about it. And how is this funny to you? I read through a lot of other threads here, and it seems like that I am the on in the LEAST ammount of trouble, so please, refrain from being a jackass. :) Thanks buddy.

H

hexeliebe

How stupid am I for not showing up for court?
On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rank this a 10!

About 5 months ago I got a ticket for expired tags, I went to court and told the judge I needed an extra week, he gave me a week to get it, well I didn't go back to court for the second time, because I am an idiot.
Yes, you are.

Now I have another speeding ticket that I didn't show up for because, honestly, I think I have brain damage or something.
I concur.

So, that's 2 counts of failure to appear(contempt) that I am facing in conjunction with the original fines. I've talked to a few people and they said that the judge could incarcerate me for this. I have to go in next week to be booked for the city capius

and pay a 50 dollar bond and set a new court date, I'm assuming this will be for both cases.
You can assume anything you want. But unless you want to return here with stupid count number three, ASK!

I understand I have the right to a public defender, etc,
Really? And who told you this?

my question is do you think the judge will be merciful? Is there a possibility of me working out community service instead of jail time?
There's a possibility of this. And just as good a chance of the judge getting tired of being made a fool and putting you behind bars.

You may think I am retarded, but there's nothing I can do about it now.
I beg to differ. You can stop making excuses and face the penality for your inactivity. As for thinking you are retarded, well figure it out. Most people, even here in Tennessee, show up for their court date, even if it takes twice.

A

anarchyrob

Well, I'm hoping all I have to do is pay a fine and do some community service. Thanks for your insight into the case. BTW, I was asking about the public defender because I wasn't sure if I could face jail time for something as ridiculous as this. You think if it was THAT big of a deal to be put "behind bars" as you call it, they would've came and arrested me by now? Use your head. I know this guy that got caught DUI and had drugs and guns in the car, he went to jail for 6 days. It wouldn't be just to put me in jail for this, the purpose of the law is to serve justice, remember, not just because some judge decides to be a dick. If that's the case I'll appeal and get a lawyer, etc. Pretty sad how all these people couldn't offer even a little bit of productive feedback, and not just agreeing with what I've already posted, or acting like I'm some crazy maniac with criminal intent.

H

hexeliebe

Pretty sad how all these people couldn't offer even a little bit of productive feedback, and not just agreeing with what I've already posted, or acting like I'm some crazy maniac with criminal intent
Yep, I agree. Pretty sad when someone comes here after missing TWO, count them, TWO court appearances and wants to know what is going to happen.

Have you ever thought genius that maybe no one has told you because 1, we don't even know if you're going to show up and, 2. who the hell knows?

As I said before, you could face anything from a fine to jail time. And that's all I'm going to waste on you.

H

hexeliebe

Remember, he's from Tennessee :rolleyes:

He probably forgot he was here.

HomeGuru

anarchyrob said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Okay here's the story..

... well I didn't go back to court for the second time, because I am an idiot.

You may think I am retarded, but there's nothing I can do about it now. :(

Thank you,
Rob :(

**A: well, that about says it all.

A

anarchyrob

:D Okay okay, I get it, anything could happen in there. So, who has Pabst?

A

anarchyrob

hexeliebe said:
Yep, I agree. Pretty sad when someone comes here after missing TWO, count them, TWO court appearances and wants to know what is going to happen.

Have you ever thought genius that maybe no one has told you because 1, we don't even know if you're going to show up and, 2. who the hell knows?

As I said before, you could face anything from a fine to jail time. And that's all I'm going to waste on you.
Like you never made mistakes that you regret? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">