• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How stupid am I for not showing up for court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anarchyrob

Yeah man, I wished I hadn't gotten myself into this whole mess. I'm not a bad person, and I have never ever broken the law before, I just hope the judge realizes that I am at a point in my life where I am making a lot of mistakes. And I know you guys must get a lot of people that post around here that act like they shouldn't have to pay for what they've done or asking how to get out of it, which is not what I'm trying to do. Thanks though! :) I'll let you guys know how everything turns out. Thanks again for the help :)

H

hexeliebe

I'll give you your props. At least you're dealing with it (I hope) this time.

A

anarchyrob

Yeah, time to grow up I guess. I thought that if I ignored it that it would go away, guess I was wrong.

HomeGuru

And in court, be sure you do not tell the judge the following:

Originally posted by anarchyrob

Judge, I never said I was stupid, just an idiot. But thanks for telling me what I already know, I was looking for maybe some answers as to how these types of things usually turn out. (PS Did you hear the part of my testimony where I said to NOT insult me? Or are you stupid?)

Your Honor: I realize you're a judge here, and that you might perhaps be more familiar with the law than I am, but this is the first time I've ever gotten in trouble, up until this point in my life, I have never had to worry about it. And how is this funny to you? I heard a lot of other cases here, and it seems like that I am the on in the LEAST ammount of trouble, so please, refrain from being a jackass. :) Thanks buddy.

K

kcdogg

hexeliebe said:
On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rank this a 10!

Yes, you are.

I concur.

You can assume anything you want. But unless you want to return here with stupid count number three, ASK!

Really? And who told you this?

There's a possibility of this. And just as good a chance of the judge getting tired of being made a fool and putting you behind bars.

I beg to differ. You can stop making excuses and face the penality for your inactivity. As for thinking you are retarded, well figure it out. Most people, even here in Tennessee, show up for their court date, even if it takes twice.

I don't believe he was making excuses, he is only admitting he screwed up.

anarchyrob;
Just go to court and state the facts and let the judge know you screwed up and yes you may be able to get community service. Rmember, be respectful to the judge and he appreciate your honesty, but by all means make your court date>

T

teribelle

Rob,
Please forgive me for writing and not being able to provide legal advise, since that is what you were asking for.

I thought this was a legal forum w/out the audience from Jerry Springer.
Alot of people would be surprised what somebody else may or may not do when they have no money and no other choice.

I missed a court date sometime ago and didn't pay the ticket (42 in a 35) and just now started getting it together enough to try and take care of it. I know they revoked my license. I am not scared of the jailtime, if that's what they do, I am concerned over how much $ it will cost. Can't pull it out of my a$$.

My son was dying with cancer when I got the ticket and had my courtdate, that's why I didn't go. I forgot about it. After I realized, I was terrified.
I just wrote a letter to the county/court, explaining. Kind of testing the water before I jump in.

We all do stupid $hit, no matter which side of the mason-dixon line we live on. If southerners were so stupid, how is it that we have had more Presidents, they didn't get elected without the northerners ~
Good luck, let me know what happens, Rob.
Teribelle

A

anarchyrob

Sorry to hear about your son. Thanks for understanding that sh*t happens. I went to court for my two charges, but first I had to spend some time in the county holding cell while I was booked on the capius warrents, which really sucks. It's a 10x10 room with about 20 huge hardened thugs waiting for a reason to be criminals. As opposed to me, a guy with no criminal intention what-so-ever.

When I went to court I faced 4 charges all together, 2 for FTA, which is pretty much contempt of court, and 1 for speeding, 1 for no registration. I got the registration dropped because my car is now registered, and one of the failure to appear dropped because when I went for the registration ticket, I thought I had squared it away, but I'm so absent minded.

The judge asked me why I didn't show up, I told him that by the time I realized what I had done, I was scared of going to jail, and that I thought if I ignored it that it would go away, but I came to reason with myself and knew I had to do the right thing. I was just totally honest with him. I think he liked how I was willing to accept the consequences, so he let me off with paying the speeding ticket, and doing community service at the local community kitchen. But he said if I get any other tickets in 6 months that he's going to suspend my license for a year, because right now it's just temporarily suspended.

My advice to you is just to go get it over with. Make sure you've got some money on you when you go in, they'll take it and give you a check when you get a bondsman to come down, or a friend or whatever. And don't eat the jail food, and don't drink anything either. Just go in and sleep or whatever, because those *******s that live off our tax money do their best to treat you like **** for breaking a man-made law. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">