• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rape Threat on Facebook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shelia8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I was intentionally arguing on a Facebook forum and a user after a while said he'd rape me. Then after that he said, no I was just kidding. That's all he said, that he would rape me. He didn't say how or that he was outside my house or anything like that. And then apologized and said, just kidding, immediately after he said that. He has since deleted his comment and blocked me but I took a picture. Can I call the police and he be arrested? I don't know this person, but he did send me a message privately saying he was sorry. I didn't respond.

Just Blue

I was intentionally arguing on a Facebook forum and a user after a while said he'd rape me. Then after that he said, no I was just kidding. That's all he said, that he would rape me. He didn't say how or that he was outside my house or anything like that. And then apologized and said, just kidding, immediately after he said that. He has since deleted his comment and blocked me but I took a picture. Can I call the police and he be arrested? I don't know this person, but he did send me a message privately saying he was sorry. I didn't respond.
Arrested for what...Being an ass?

Shelia8

If you're a troll: go away, because we expect far more intelligence from our trolls.

If you're real: go away, and then grow up, because we expect far more intelligence from society.
I swear I'm not a troll. I just wanted to know if what they did was illegal. And if so should I call the police?

Shelia8

Do you know this person? Does he know you or have a way of finding you? Do you post under your real name or a user name?
No I don't know them. I don't think he knows me, and I don't know if he has a way of finding me. I'm sure he could use my name and pay to get my address? I post under my actual Facebook profile. So yes it's my real name.

quincy

Isn't that a threat? He could be a creepy person. I always thought if you said that it was illegal.
If he said he was kidding, if he deleted his comment, if neither of you know the other, if he does not have the ability to carry out a threat whether the threat is a serious one or not, then, no, it is not really illegal to make stupid comments.

I recommend you stay off that Facebook forum if the fellow is any indication of the type of people posting there.

Eekamouse

Sounds like you're mad because you lost your little FB argument with a stranger and I can only imagine what stupid stuff you said that made him finally respond with that comment. Now you hope to get this person arrested? You're ridiculous. As others have said, grow up.:rolleyes:

Just Blue

No I don't know them. I don't think he knows me, and I don't know if he has a way of finding me. I'm sure he could use my name and pay to get my address? I post under my actual Facebook profile. So yes it's my real name.
I suggest you grow up and stop having "fights" with total strangers on the net.
I was intentionally arguing on a Facebook forum
= childish.

Proserpina

I have no doubt that someone is going to come on chastising us for not taking a rape threat seriously.

To those, I say only this: Haha, I'm gonna kill you if you creep up on me like that again ... y'all scared the hell out of me!

Wait wait wait. That's pure hyperbole, isn't it?

E-e-e-e-e-e-exactly.

:cool:

Just Blue

I have no doubt that someone is going to come on chastising us for not taking a rape threat seriously.

To those, I say only this: Haha, I'm gonna kill you if you creep up on me like that again ... y'all scared the hell out of me!

Wait wait wait. That's pure hyperbole, isn't it?

E-e-e-e-e-e-exactly.

:cool:
It's Friday night..."someone" will chastise many of us for saying the sky is blue.;)

CdwJava

Sure, you can call the police ... just don't expect them to do anything. Even if this is somehow a crime in GA (maybe they have some statute covering online harassment or threats, I dunno), the odds of them seeking a search warrant for Facebook, ISPs, and maybe other entities in order to track this guy down is somewhere between zero and zilch. A stranger making a crude and crass comment on the internet is hardly the crime of the century. And if the police investigated every such incident, we'd have to shut down every other element of government to fund the investigative units necessary to conduct these investigations.

So, move on, stay off of forums and discussion groups where things get heated, and try not to engage yo-yos in debates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">