• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

people want my dog to bite them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

travistee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ct

I have a German Shepheard.

I have had mothers tell their small children to put their hands in front of the dog while he was barking. Sometimes they want to pet him and act like they want to get bitten.

Recently at a hotel I was going out a door as someone was coming in. The dog started barking as I held him back on his leash. She opened the door and tried to but her hand in front of him. I got her to back away.

He never bit anyone, but happens if he does under these conditions. I told the mother with the small child I would call the police and DCF if she didn't go away.

Last edited:

tranquility

A dog that barks at people in public, probably shouldn't be out in public. While there is a possibility of a defense of comparative negligence that might reduce the award against you if there is damage, I assure you a biting dog (actually you) will be held to a higher level of responsibility in these circumstances.

Get your dog trained or keep it at home.

Reading edit:
I'mTheFather has a good idea as well.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ct

I have a German Shepheard.

I have had mothers tell their small children to put their hands in front of the dog while he was barking. Sometimes they want to pet him and act like they want to get bitten.

Recently at a hotel I was going out a dog as someone was coming in. The dog started barking as I held him back on his leash. She opened the door and tried to but her hand in front of him. I got her to back away.

He never bit anyone, but happens if he does under these conditions. I told the mother with the small child I would call the police and DCF if she didn't go away.
Control your dog. You can't control "mothers with small children", but you CAN control your dog. IF you want. By the way...Your thread name is misleading.

Just Blue

https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-personal-injury-wrongful-death-75/dog-park-injuries-other-dogs-536180.html

swalsh411

Recently at a hotel I was going out a door as someone was coming in. The dog started barking as I held him back on his leash. She opened the door and tried to but her hand in front of him. I got her to back away.
You allow this dog out in public with you? WTF is wrong with you? You cannot have a dog out that barks and lunges towards strangers. You're lucky somebody hasn't already either kicked your dog or reported you. What if you lost your grip on the leash or the collar slipped?

csi7

A gentle muzzle and a covered harness would be much safer for the dog, and for you, as well.

We used a gentle muzzle and covered harness and it was more pleasant for everyone.

sandyclaus

It seems to me that whether or not the dog bites is fully within YOUR control. The way YOU are looking at it is comparable to saying that a car WILL crash into an obstacle. Sure - it CAN, but it WON'T unless the driver loses control. It's YOUR job to manage the risk and keep control in the situation.

It shouldn't matter whether the child or his mother is trying to trying to instigate it. Ultimately, if the dog DOES bite, it's because the dog's behavior is not being controlled by you.

As has been suggested, take away the risk by having your dog muzzled when you take it out in public. Otherwise, you CAN and WILL be held liable if or when the dog does bite someone.

travistee

Looks like some people liked the bone I threw you.

How about a legal question?

What is the difference between a provoked and unprovoked injury?

Example:

A dog is tied to a tree. A mother and child see the dog and approach him.
He barks at them. The mother comes closer and tells the child to hold her hand out to the dog.

What is the legal analysis of this specific situation?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Looks like some people liked the bone I threw you.

How about a legal question?

What is the difference between a provoked and unprovoked injury?

Example:

A dog is tied to a tree. A mother and child see the dog and approach him.
He barks at them. The mother comes closer and tells the child to hold her hand out to the dog.

What is the legal analysis of this specific situation?
Tying dogs up should be outlawed. It makes them mean.

Any SANE mother would not tell her child to allow a barking dog to sniff the child's hand. :cool:

tranquility

It is not legal analysis, but a factual one. It depends on what a fact finder feels properly allocates the degree of responsibility. For an unattended dog in public, that is almost assuredly a violation of the leash law (usually worded to be attached to a responsible party) and might be a strict liability allocation to the owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">