• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

people want my dog to bite them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KennethAWilhelm

A dog owner is generally liable for the acts of their dog. If your dog's misbehavior results in any sort of accident, injury or similar incident, you must take full responsibility for that behavior. So it is your liability to prevent this type of thing from happening in the future. You should contact a professional trainer and possibly a veterinary behaviorist.

travistee

From ct statutes:

Sec 22-357. Damage to person or property.

If any dog does any damage to either the body or property of any person, the owner or keeper, or, if the owner or keeper is a minor, the parent or guardian of such minor, shall be liable for such damage, except when such damage has been occasioned to the body or property of a person who, at the time such damage was sustained, was committing a trespass or other tort, or was teasing, tormenting or abusing such dog. If a minor, on whose behalf an action under this section is brought, was under seven years of age at the time the damage was done, it shall be presumed that such minor was not committing a trespass or other tort, or teasing, tormenting or abusing such dog, and the burden of proof thereof shall be upon the defendant in such action. (1949 Rev., S. 3404; 1953, S. 1842d; 1969, P.A. 439, S. 1.)*

Notice the part about " teasing etc."

My question was about the actions of the people not the dog.

What if the minor is under the supervision of an adult and teases the dog?

Last edited:

Silverplum

From ct statutes:

Sec 22-357. Damage to person or property.

If any dog does any damage to either the body or property of any person, the owner or keeper, or, if the owner or keeper is a minor, the parent or guardian of such minor, shall be liable for such damage, except when such damage has been occasioned to the body or property of a person who, at the time such damage was sustained, was committing a trespass or other tort, or was teasing, tormenting or abusing such dog. If a minor, on whose behalf an action under this section is brought, was under seven years of age at the time the damage was done, it shall be presumed that such minor was not committing a trespass or other tort, or teasing, tormenting or abusing such dog, and the burden of proof thereof shall be upon the defendant in such action. (1949 Rev., S. 3404; 1953, S. 1842d; 1969, P.A. 439, S. 1.)*

Notice the part about " teasing etc."

So the burden of proof that "teasing" or the others in the list did occur is on you, the dog owner.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Assuming that you are a "people" too - I question YOUR actions. You have an animal that you KNOW has a predisposition to violence. You are an incredibly irresponsible dog owner if you don't take precautions to protect people from your animal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The "Supervising Adult" is responsible for the actions of the child.

I'm not playing any further "what-if" games. Use some common sense, whydon'tcha? :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, common sense is much less common than one would think :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">