• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Manslaughter Charges. I need help, please.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BravestDog

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

A person I know was on his boat with another man when the boat capsized and the multiple anchor chains that were on the deck of the boat entangled the guest and the guest drowned.

He was interviewed by the police and released. One year later, the boat owner was charged with misdameanor manslaughter and is currently out of jail on a $10,000 bail.

The boat was overweight by about 400lbs and modified to become a flatbed type work boat.

He is going to use a public defender since he does not have the funds for a private attorney.

Can anyone advise him on how to choose a public defender who is experienced, what he should do before the trial while he is out on bail, what to expect from the courts...

Please ask any questions and include information that you think is important.

thanks

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BravestDog said:
What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

A person I know was on his boat with another man when the boat capsized and the anchor chains entangled the guest and the guest drowned.

=====================================

My response:

It's strange, though, that the divers found the chains around the guest's neck, around his body 5 times, and around his legs a couple of times.

Yes, those chains can cause quite a bit of "accidental" entanglings.

IAAL

BravestDog

IAAL please remove your post. It is innappropriate.

IAAL please remove your post. It is innappropriate.

Thanks

BravestDog

IAAL final warning. Remove your post.

IAAL final warning. Remove your post.

If it is not removed in a short period of time, I will forward it to the webmaster for his removal.

What would you like to do?

H

hexeliebe

BravestDog;

I won't try to attempt to tell you why that last post made me laugh my ass off....

IAAL a.k.a mary, a.k.a. Nikkey the Nose, a.K.A. Big Dog, a.k.a. Sensi, did you go and hurt someone else's feelings again and not invite me?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Final warning? You're giving ME a "final warning"?

I'll tell you what - - if you're having trouble finding out how to "report" me, I'll be glad to give you instructions as to how to do it.

IAAL

Son of Slam

BravestDog said:

He is going to use a public defender.

Can anyone advise him on how to choose a public defender who is experienced,

There are many tests available for use in choosing a public defender. You need to administer a few tests to all of the public defenders in order to choose the very best one. The different tests help you find out about the different traits that help to make a public defender a real asset to your case. His ability to pay attention and not act spontaneously and thoughtlessly is a large factor in how his presentations in court will be perceived. Is he hot headed or cool as a cucumber? Is he a workaholic in pursuit of career fulfillment or merely a slacker? Dose he actually know the law or dose he merely memorize the parts he knows you will ask about? Does he give a rats rear or is he just waiting for 4:20? The final test should always be the deciding factor of enny menny minny moe, because as the saying goes, " A public defender has a fool for a client."

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

First of all, your post is particularly funny because:

1. There is no such thing as "misdemeanor manslaughter" - - at least not in California.

2. If you knew anything about physics; i.e., that of gravity on a chain, and the buoyancy of a human being, you'd soon realize that chains fall directly down, even in water, and immediately. Humans float.

Also, the offense of Manslaughter is a felony; that is, it is punishable by state prison rather than just a shorter county jail sentence. If the case is particularly blameworthy, the prosecutor may file second-degree murder charges; this offense does not require proof of premeditation or even intent , but does require proof of "malice" - - which can be inferred from evidence of a callous disregard for human life.

So, your friend is going to State prison.

IAAL

CMSC

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My further response:

By the way, Bravestdog, you wouldn't be one of the Peterson parents or one of the Peterson family friends, would you?

IAAL

Scott Peterson already has his public defender, please don't tell me he wants a new one to drag the case out?

Bravestdog, report him to [email protected]...she/he loves getting email about IAAL or is IAAL mary. Hmmm...anyway, if you find it inappropriate forward away.:D

Bravestdog, I hear you edited your post, I guess the words, "gag order" mean something to you?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ryry's mom said:
Whatever you say dear, you already admitted to loving me. And as far as your brain damaged comment goes, shut the hell up. Because I will simply email you (because you say you are mary), you will delete your post and that will be it. I don't know why you don't just delete it in the first place, without me needing to email you about it.

Anyway, I was making a joke, but obviously your panties are on too tight.

======================================

My response:

And I was making a joke too!

Everytime I say, "Brain damaged skank" I laugh my guts out. Don't you?

Of course I love you. I love you because you're a loose skank.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HomeGuru said:
"This thread is a riot."

===================================

My response:

Ya, I know!

I particularly enjoy the writer's statement that " . . . the multiple anchor chains that were on the deck of the boat entangled the guest and the guest drowned."

How blithely, and easy that word "entangle" trips off of our writer's tongue!

Chains don't "entangle". They get "wrapped" around somebody, and then that "somebody" sinks. The Mafia "Button Men" do it all the time. That, and cement boots.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">