• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory Rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

synister

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a very important question to ask. I have recently turned 18 years old, and live in California. Although I'm 18, unfortunately, not everybody I hang out with is 18. I have an age range of friends from 16-21. The biggest problem I'm facing right now is that I am put into these situations here and there where I am tempted to *use your imagination* with some of my 16 and 17 year old friends that are girls. I have held my temptations back for the most part (so far I've kept it to a maximum of cuddling and kissing), but this is getting old and the girls and myself want more.

I have heard different things from different people. Some say that once I turn 18 the problem of statutory rape, no matter the age difference. Others say I have a three year buffer-zone (meaning that if I was born on January 1st of 1990, the girl has to have been born on January 1st of 1993 or be older for me to enact on my temptations.)

My question is that what am I allowed to do according to the law? I am going to ask this on this message board, and still look for answers elsewhere to try to have the most educated answer as possible. I would love to hear from anybody who has knowledge of anything on this subject, and (if possible) I would also love to be linked to possible websites supported by the government to receive a qualitative answer. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

synister

Although there is a slight chance of pregnancy, I take all precautions to try to make sure that that doesn't happen, so a child isn't what I'm worried about.

What you've posted states that I would only have to face a fine of $2,000-$5,000 with no other legal action taken against me. (This means it's basically legal to people who can afford it?)

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Although there is a slight chance of pregnancy, I take all precautions to try to make sure that that doesn't happen, so a child isn't what I'm worried about.
You are exceptionally naive.

What you've posted states that I would only have to face a fine of $2,000-$5,000 with no other legal action taken against me. (This means it's basically legal to people who can afford it?)
That's what it looks like to me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The best way to ensure that you are not charged with anything is to keep your pants zipped unless your partner is over 18.

Keep it in your pants Romeo. I don't know a single girl that would be worth a $5,000 fine. That's not even taking into account the restraining orders/other possible actions that could be taken against you. The law describes you as an adult... act like one.

HuAi

Even if you aren't slapped with statutory rape, you can still be prosecuted under catchall "contributing to delinquency of a minor" - hit on some of your 19-21 year old friends instead.

Yertle8

Yes, they can. However, it irks me a bit when older adults use scare tactics on younger adults when it comes to sex along the lines of 'birth control methods aren't as effective as you think and you'll end up pregnant/getting someone pregnant.' If you are irresponsible about sex you are likely to end up in trouble and if you are responsible about it you are very unlikely to.

Roll your eyes if you want. Chances are the OP heard the truth in a recent health class and doesn't need a pessimistic view on the effectiveness of birth control. When used properly it works. The legal ramifications should be enough to deter him, and after all, this is a legal site.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Perhaps you haven't heard, but there are legal ramifications of getting someone pregnant. Even if that person is over 18, but more so if they are under.

Yertle8

See thread title. Pregnancy is a separate issue that no one asked about. I disagree with the accuracy and pertinence of the soapboxing above, and feel inclined to say as much.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So if the responders here feel inclined to raise related issues that the OP may or may not have thought of, that is their right as well.

When you post on a public board you don't get to decide who answers or how.

CdwJava

If the other party is under 18, and there is less than a three year difference, you face JAIL time - not just a fine. The $2,000 to $5,0000 amount is the CIVIL penalty assessed in addition to the potential jail time.

In addition to the fine PC 261.5 and PC 19 holds that a person convicted of intercourse with a minor less than three years his (or her) junior can be punished by up to 6 months in jail and/or a fine of $1,000.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">