• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 DUI's in MI - living in OH?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pawlak

I received my first DUI in Michigan while living in MI. This was roughly 5 years ago. I received my 2nd DUI in MI in Oct of 2001, however I was a resident of Ohio. I've met all the requirements that the MI court imposed on me with the exception of the 1 yr suspenion. Does anyone know how this affects me in Ohio or does anyone know of a link to the Ohio Criminal Code to access this info?

R

reconmp

Well, I'm not sure how it will effect you, but here's a clue.

QUIT DRINKING YOU IDIOT BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE.

F

FKNA

Number of offenses within a 5 year time span will get you; 1st offense 3 days - 6 months, 2nd offense 10 days - 6 months, 3rd offense 30 days - 1 year, 4th offense 60 days to 6 months. That is the possible jail time. The MANDATORY jail time would be 1st - 3days, 2nd - 10 days, 3rd 30 days, 4th 60 days. And yes, they would consider the dwi's that you have gotten out of state.

R

reconmp

I say let's give him the maximum amount of time, this way he has plenty of time to remember that it is dangerous to drink and drive. And also, a criminal offense. So, what would you recommend for a person who has done this knowing it is wrong, not once, but again.

Slam him hard, slam him long, and let the guys in jail slam him as well. Maybe that will drive the message home.

Rochelle

Careful Recon, there are those who will think you're siding with justice.;)

Anyone can make one mistake, but to keep making that same one is just inexcusable.

F

FKNA

Hey Rochelle, I would like to open up something for debate with you. I feel comfortable doing this with you because even though everyone has their own personal "viewpoint", you're not the type that is so blinded by your own viewpoint that you can't have an open discussion.

You made a comment about "justice". Let's set aside the Ohio dwi laws for a moment, because in my eyes....they're "fair". Instead, let's talk about Texas dwi laws. On a third offense they treat it as a felony. Do you personally consider that "fair" and/or "justice"

R

reconmp

Rochelle, you are absolutely right, what was I thinking? ;) I should have developed a more constructive manner in order to ensure the message would be understood by muti-time offenders, as maybe they just need a simple method of explanation they can better understand.

I know, let's put him behind the wheel of a vehicle SOBER, and slam it into a wall. This way we would be giving them a first hand/on hands demonstration of what it would feel like to get hit by a drunk driver. ;)

Rochelle

FKNA, it's hard for me to be very open on this subject. I am passionate about this because I have been around the law all my life. I have seen both sides, and sometimes the human capacity for stupidity is dumbfounding. If you are asking if I agree it should be a felony, I would have to say yes. I believe the message should be that if they continue to drink and drive they will face a severe penalty. Taking their licenses doesn't stop them. They drive anyway. I know, alcoholism is an illness, and I say take them off the roads and put them away where they can get help. My grandfather killed a young man the day before the young man was to be married. All because he'd been caught drinking and driving before, been thrown in jail a time or two, had his license taken away, his children had put him in the hospital for his drinking and he discharged himself, tried to have him declared incompetent and yet he was still allowed to be free. If they'd put him away, where he couldn't get booze, couldn't get a car, couldn't get a friend to assist him, that young man would have lived to see his wedding day. This happened years ago, when I was in high school, and I still feel horrible that a member of my family did something that could have been prevented. My mother was shattered, since it was her father, and it made my parents that much harder on us. But you expect your children to learn after you tell them something is wrong a couple of times, that you mean it's wrong. When you tell someone drinking and driving is against the law, then if they continue to do it, they deserve to be punished. Before they kill someone else and/or themselves. I know I seem harsh but you have to draw a line somewhere. I think by the 3rd time it's fair to be a felony, and I think it's fair to call it justice.

To Reconmp: I'm sorry, didn't mean to go on a tangent there. I just feel very strongly about what I do, and what I believe. I can't stand to read someone bash a cop for doing his job. Yes, he or she can make a mistake, they are human after all. But I just went to a funeral this past weekend for a buddy killed in the line of duty. Like I said, I've seen both sides. He made a routine traffic stop, a 17 year old boy who ran a red light. The kid shot him in the face. Because he had booze in the car and was scared he'd get arrested. That made sense to him.

R

reconmp

Rochelle,

My reply was meant to be funny, not serious. My point is these people are adults, let's quit treating them like children and slapping their wrist. Some people never learn, and others pay the price for the poor judgement. But, if the system does not start slamming people so the message goes out strong and hard, then the passive punishment system we are under will not serve to prevent the poor decisions these habitial decisions made by the same people.

As for cops, I would never bash a cop for doing his job, they are great most of the time, but there are some that could benefit from additional training in bedside manner, so to speak.

Anyway, I'm just having fun here, please don't take me too serious.

MSgt. Matthew Lasita
United States Army, Military Police

Oops, I'm a cop!!!

F

FKNA

Rochelle....thanks for your response. I can understand you being passionate about this issue, and your response definitely gave me a better understanding on the stance you take.

Now let me pose another question to you (hypothetical). If a person is ticketed once for speeding in excess of 120mph, then a second time for speeding in excess of 120mph....would it be appropriate punishment/justice to charge this person with a felony the third time around?

Rochelle

To Reconmp

Recon, I hope I didn't sound too harsh. I don't take much of this stuff seriously on here, except when it comes to this stuff. I get a kick out of some of it and I'm amazed at what people will share with total strangers. I knew you weren't cop bashing.

I agree with you. Like I said, everyone is entitle to one mistake. We have lapses in good judgement. But don't keep repeating it.

D

deefran

This is in no way meant to sound harsh to anyone...but whether it be excessive speeding or drinking and driving...there is the possibility of death. A moving car can be a deadly weapon and those that drive wrecklessly are putting bullseyes on everyone in their path. I have recently heard of a law that is being considered that after a third DUI offense and especially if it results in death...it is being considered to charge the driver with 1st degree murder...scenario example..a guy loads a gun with the intention of killing someone is charged with 1st degree murder...a guy/woman knowing full well of DUI laws and dangers imbibes alcohol and gets into moving vehicle which turns it into a loaded weapon..someone dies 1st degree murder..same thing in my opinion

R

reconmp

I'm all for it. Charge them, and lock them up for the rest of their lifes. I would donate money to lobby that!!!!!

F

FKNA

Deefran...you make a very good point. Even though I may not agree with 1st degree murder, the penalty definitely should be SEVERE if you kill someone while under the influence

P

Pawlak

I agree with every view that was in response to my post. Even the ones that came off sounding rather childish when I was hoping to get somewhat of a mature response. I'm not proud of the fact that I received my 2nd DUI when I told myself that this will never happen to myself again. But when you have a problem it is not the easiest thing to let go of. I'm not looking for sympathy in any form because I do consider myself having a problem. I agree with making the penalty more severe but why wait until the second. Make the penalty severe enough to convince someone not to attempt to get behind the wheel. When I was in jail for a few days after my 2nd I came out of there feeling like I took a vacation for a few days. I got to meet some people, sat around, played cards, watched TV and napped whenever I wanted. Alot of people for small crimes tend to choose jail for a couple of days over having to pay $150 fine....why?....because they make it to easy. I could be wrong on this theory but I've often wondered if state officials making the laws the way the do to make a buck off of those that break the law. If they truelly wanted to put all crime to an end, make the penalty severe enough to where someone wouldn't even think of attempting a crime. Another example I have is that the University I attended had no free parking for the students. There was reserved parking for staff and handicap. There were areas that were assigned for vistiors or who ever was willing to pay $0.75 / half hour. However these areas were not conveintly located or they filled up rather quickly. The fine for parking in a reserved area was $20. Just enough to make it sting but not enough to keep you from doing it again. I guess my point is throw people away for commiting the crimes they do. Otherwise we'll keep doing what we've been doing... Thanks for the time but I'm not getting the info I need so everyone enjoy their time on the internet....maybe you'll all find your next love one. Please send me an invite to the wedding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">