• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieved a call from Judge Judy Show

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sylvie38

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My husband borrowed 3000.00 from his father 6 weeks ago, after 30 days he demanded payment in full. We were unable to do that so we gave him a 500.00 payment and stated we would give hime 500.00 payments monthly (Next payment is due Saturday). Yesterday he got a call from the producers of the Judge Judy show stating that his father has filed a small claims suit, they requested us to appear on the show....my husband respectfully said no as his family backround of abuse and drugs and alcohol (his father was a drug addict/alcoholic) and he feels this is not the way to handle this on television causing family embarassment including our young children. OK, sorry...my question is should we make that payment on Saturday or should we hold it since we now know he has filed a small claims suit with the courts

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My husband borrowed 3000.00 from his father 6 weeks ago, after 30 days he demanded payment in full. We were unable to do that so we gave him a 500.00 payment and stated we would give hime 500.00 payments monthly (Next payment is due Saturday). Yesterday he got a call from the producers of the Judge Judy show stating that his father has filed a small claims suit, they requested us to appear on the show....my husband respectfully said no as his family backround of abuse and drugs and alcohol (his father was a drug addict/alcoholic) and he feels this is not the way to handle this on television causing family embarassment including our young children. OK, sorry...my question is should we make that payment on Saturday or should we hold it since we now know he has filed a small claims suit with the courts
You agreed to pay - why wouldn't you pay?

Should we stiff Dad? What a noble question.

sylvie38

not looking to stiff him, as I said we would then place the payments into the bank account until court....there is nothing more at this time then wanting to pay him off. Im sure you have heard many things similar to this however I am not putting out the entire story as it is a long and terrible one.....the terms were 500.00 monthly Saturday is the next payment due but he went ahead and filed anyway with Judge Judy

justalayman

=sylvie38;2742942]not looking to stiff him, as I said we would then place the payments into the bank account until court.
.why? You agreed to make a payment and a failure to make that payment would be in breach of your contract. As is stands, you are in the right. If you refuse to make the payment, you make the suit a valid suit.

..there is nothing more at this time then wanting to pay him off. Im sure you have heard many things similar to this however I am not putting out the entire story as it is a long and terrible one.....the terms were 500.00 monthly Saturday is the next payment due but he went ahead and filed anyway with Judge Judy
he filed with Judge Judy? Well, then feel free to ignore anything concerning that. When you get a summons from your local court, then you are being sued.

sylvie38

Thank you, finally a useful answer.....as for Judge Judy it may be that he filed with the courts and they found it but we are not certain. We of course declined what they made sound like a paid 3 day vacation, if we are taken to real court then we will see...but until then we will make the payments...however, he had us agree to cash only payments and he did sign a paper showing first payment but would it be wise and legal to make rest of payments by check for our records even though we agreed to cash payments?

TinkerBelleLuvr

When I had filed in small claims court for my son, we also received paperwork from Judge Judy on the claims. All the parties decided that they weren't interested in going to California and being on TV (I was the only one who wanted to go). They told me, when I talked to them, that they cull thru the small claims everywhere to see if anything is interesting for them.

justalayman

Thank you, finally a useful answer.....as for Judge Judy it may be that he filed with the courts and they found it but we are not certain. We of course declined what they made sound like a paid 3 day vacation, if we are taken to real court then we will see...but until then we will make the payments...however, he had us agree to cash only payments and he did sign a paper showing first payment but would it be wise and legal to make rest of payments by check for our records even though we agreed to cash payments?
If you agreed to cash only then you need to follow through with that. Simply demand a receipt for the payments. If he refuses, keep the video recording you have (hint) of the transaction handy to prove you tried to pay be he refused.

Then, start putting the money aside in a separate account like you were talking of doing. Continue to attempt to make the payments as agreed though.

The dumb part about this is; even if he wins, all he wins is what you are now paying him.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I'm going to ask this question one more time. I know that YOU and YOUR HUSBAND offered to repay the loan at $500 per month. What were the ORIGINAL terms for repayment? $3000 in one month? Something doesn't pass the smell test here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
One interesting thing to note is that the OP never stated what the original terms of the loan were...nor has she stated that Dad actually agreed to accept $500 per month payments...

ETA: Or, I could have just said "Yeah, what Tink said!"

sylvie38

500.00 a month was agreed on, then at the time of the first payment he wanted the whole thing....you can do your smell test or whatever you like but you are talking about a man who when my husbands mother was murdered and he moved in with him at age 11 he beat him and then he was sent to live with other family....today he plays with the emotions of his grandchildren.....at the time of the loan we thought maybe he was trying to make up for the past...we never expected this money to be simply "given" to us but an agreement was made and then as in the past with his children and grandchildren he simply changes into a cruel man again. As I stated before there is nothing more that we want but to pay him back and now really keep him away from our kids...you all can form your own opinions and thats fine I was simply looking for answers to handle this properly and legally...we will make the payments as stated and make note if he refuses them.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Were the terms in WRITING? If so, make a copy of them and mail it CRRR to him. If not, I suggest, IN WRITING, to send a letter to him reminding him of the terms, along with anything else that happened to jog his memory.

You can state that you plan on paying the loan in accordance to the terms. Make sure that you get receipts for all payments. I suggest that you do so with credible witnesses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">