• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieved a call from Judge Judy Show

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
500.00 a month was agreed on, then at the time of the first payment he wanted the whole thing....you can do your smell test or whatever you like but you are talking about a man who when my husbands mother was murdered and he moved in with him at age 11 he beat him and then he was sent to live with other family....today he plays with the emotions of his grandchildren.....at the time of the loan we thought maybe he was trying to make up for the past...we never expected this money to be simply "given" to us but an agreement was made and then as in the past with his children and grandchildren he simply changes into a cruel man again. As I stated before there is nothing more that we want but to pay him back and now really keep him away from our kids...you all can form your own opinions and thats fine I was simply looking for answers to handle this properly and legally...we will make the payments as stated and make note if he refuses them.
Fine - when you get in to court, just show proof of the agreement and proof that you have upheld that agreement. You should be fine.

latigo

Did you get a call back number from the caller that represented him or herself as speaking for the producers of the Judge Judy Show?

Which tripe by the way is taped at the KTLA television studios, Hollywood Center, 5800 Sunset Blvd. Hollywood, CA 90028 and not in New Jersey where you indicate you are domiciled and where the civil case must be filed.

When you paid the first $500 and “stated we would give him $500.00 payments monthly”, what was the father’s response?

If he accepted the $500 and did not manifest any objection to monthly payments, then it could reasonably be said that he tacitly consented. Particularly if there were no specific terms of repayment agreed upon at the time the money was loaned.

And that should be your position before the small claims judge. “We will continue to pay him as mutually agreed.”

ajkroy

Wait...aren't all of the judgments on Judge Judy paid by the show regardless? That's what it says in the disclaimer at the end. :rolleyes:

OHRoadwarrior

Seems to be info missing here. A loan usually has terms. If you are in compliance with the terms, it should not be a problem. If there are no terms, my understanding is he can't randomly demand reimbursement. If you can afford the payment, why not make it. It shows you are making an attempt to repay as quickly as possible.

justalayman

Wait...aren't all of the judgments on Judge Judy paid by the show regardless? That's what it says in the disclaimer at the end. :rolleyes:
I don't know if they pay all of the settlements. It is likely they do but not sure.

The point is; OP doesn't want the family's dirty laundry aired on national television. It is apparently worth it to pay the $3k out of his pocket than to be the source of sick humor for the masses.

I don't blame him.

Proserpina

I don't know if they pay all of the settlements. It is likely they do but not sure.

The point is; OP doesn't want the family's dirty laundry aired on national television. It is apparently worth it to pay the $3k out of his pocket than to be the source of sick humor for the masses.

I don't blame him.

Perhaps we should put OP in touch with TotalWreck123, our resident Judge Judy star and see if TW can give some insight...

CourtClerk

I don't blame him.
FYI... the court shows all have researchers that work in all of the states to pull cases. They decide on whether to send an invite based on the case description... or, after you've filed the case, you can call the show directly.

The judgments are paid by the show, and it is effectively binding arbitration. Once the case is heard by Judge Judy (Joe Brown, Milian... whoever), a dismissal is filed with the court.

sylvie38

Yes it is in writing, his answer to that is now I want it back now....it's my money....should it go to court my husband will be forced to show that his father has been using his social security number for the extra income he is getting so he can continue to defraud the disability he is on. We will continue to make the payments as scheduled, and record if he refuses the payment as he is claiming he will do...thank u for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">