• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated Mental Health SSI situation - fraud investigation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needsumhelp80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I met my fiance (who is 20) last year after she started to apply for SSI for basically being incapable of working because of severe mental issues and being extremely dependent on her mom. Problem is, she's fully capable of working, but her mom pressured her into going through the process and had her fake a psychological illness. I talked her into dropping it when it was denied because I didn't like the legal endangerment of fraud and possible issues that could come up in the future with getting married and having kids if they thought she was incapable of responsibly getting married and, especially, having a baby. As such, she told her mom not to appeal it. Her mom agreed to this, but then appealed it behind her back. We became suspicious of this and called the SSA toll-free number and found out that her case had been appealed and she was now actually receiving payments and had been for 2 months. Now, they've frozen her account and the case and her mom is being investigated. We live across the country from her mom, but the case is in Wisconsin (moved to our new state 2 months ago and we don't want to have to move back because of these issues). We're afraid of her mom going to jail for this, but at the same time are in quite a situation because my wife is supposed to be incapable of living without her mom. We've thought that we could have her mom tell them that she found a man with "the patience of a saint" (to use the words of her mom soon after she first met me) who understands her and loves her despite her disability and is willing to take care of her, completely aware of her "problems." Her mom is obsessed with keeping the SSI, but I quite frankly don't care about it. I don't currently have an income, but am looking for employment and (for 3 1/2 years) was making over $50,000 as a machine operator up until a year ago and I know I can support us just fine without assistance from the government. The main thing I need is advice to get out of this situation without any legal problems. I don't want my fiance's mom to end up in jail over this, even though she was in the wrong not only to file this fraudulently, but also to continue it behind my fiance's back. She only did it because she loves her daughter and wanted to make sure she had money to live comfortably, and I just want to keep her out of jail, regardless of whether my fiance loses the ssi... like I said, that doesn't matter to me, and I'd honestly prefer to not have to deal with all the government bs that comes with it. Thanks a whole lot in advance for your advice on this... I really appreciate it!

BL

What age is your fiancé? It's not technically fraud if your fiancé is a minor .Mom had a right to appeal.

I'm not sure why SSA froze the benefits , other than she is the payee for the benefits and are now investigating why she is listed as payee if her daughter lives across country .

Mom may have to pay the benefits she received back to SSA.

You and your fiancé could go to your nearest local SSA office and apply for you to be her payee.

It's hard to be approved under mental illness because of the physiological test that is given can catch it . If she was approved then she meets the criteria.

needsumhelp80

The money was set up to be direct deposited into a bank account of my fiance's mom she no longer used (I guess she forgot she set the SSI case to be direct deposited there), but the bank took the money ($1200 so far) because she owed a couple thousand to the bank.

needsumhelp80

BL, my fiancee is 20. The fraud isn't that my fiancee's mom appealed it without her permission, but rather that they had my fiancee act like a total nutcase and the psychiatrist didn't catch it (she's a good actress and can be very overdramatic).

Proserpina

BL, my fiancee is 20. The fraud isn't that my fiancee's mom appealed it without her permission, but rather that they had my fiancee act like a total nutcase and the psychiatrist didn't catch it (she's a good actress and can be very overdramatic).

Trust me - they're not stupid.

There is virtually no way in Hades that she managed to fool them for this long.

I'm sorry - it's just not happening. It's more likely that she "acts" normal...

BL

That's not fraud.

As far as the money that was taken from the bank account , the SSI deposit amount can be retrieved as those funds can be identified as SSI benefits and are exempt from seizers . She needs to get bank statements and send those to the creditor and have those amounts returned .

Again a talk with a local SSA representative may help.

needsumhelp80

Basically, the psychiatrist was a complete dupe. I live with her and I can guarantee you that she is completely normal and would have no more problem working than any other 20 year old girl that hasn't had job experience yet. She put on an act acting like a 5 year old girl that couldn't function without her cat or her mom.

As far as to the mentioning of the money being exempt from seizing, I really appreciate that information.

Proserpina

Basically, the psychiatrist was a complete dupe. I live with her and I can guarantee you that she is completely normal and would have no more problem working than any other 20 year old girl that hasn't had job experience yet. She put on an act acting like a 5 year old girl that couldn't function without her cat or her mom.

As far as to the mentioning of the money being exempt from seizing, I really appreciate that information.

She's been deemed disabled since she was a minor according to your posts elsewhere.

Again, I find it hard to believe that she's duped EVERYONE since she was a minor.

needsumhelp80

Her mom worked the system since she was 19. Her mom is on disability somehow for being blind even though she can see no problem with glasses. Her mom was the main person who ran her through the system as a kid, just as she was the one who practically forced her through this time. I can guarantee you, she's not mentally disabled. I took a couple psychology classes myself when I was in college and, being that I live with her, I am much more qualified to say whether she is or isn't mentally handicapped. If she was mentally handicapped, then 99% of all people who were outcasts in high school would also be mentally handicapped. She was an outcast in high school, like myself, and, as such, as some social issues just like I did when I first became an adult, but they are just social issues that she could easily overcome without a problem and certainly not a disability, especially not one that would make her a dependent of her mother.

BL

Her mom worked the system since she was 19. Her mom is on disability somehow for being blind even though she can see no problem with glasses. Her mom was the main person who ran her through the system as a kid, just as she was the one who practically forced her through this time. I can guarantee you, she's not mentally disabled. I took a couple psychology classes myself when I was in college and, being that I live with her, I am much more qualified to say whether she is or isn't mentally handicapped. If she was mentally handicapped, then 99% of all people who were outcasts in high school would also be mentally handicapped. She was an outcast in high school, like myself, and, as such, as some social issues just like I did when I first became an adult, but they are just social issues that she could easily overcome without a problem and certainly not a disability, especially not one that would make her a dependent of her mother.
The bolded isn't true.

My suggestions still stand .

Proserpina

Honestly - and I truly mean no offense here - I don't think you have nearly enough information. You're absolutely (and obviously) NOT qualified to diagnose her. A couple of psych 101 classes in college do not a psychiatrist maketh.

Other than that, read BL's posts again.

needsumhelp80

Obviously you two have a hell of a lot of faith in the system... both her mom and her admitted how much they faked **** by their own admission. You see how a person is by living with them, a few 30 minute sessions can be very easy to fake. She didn't have to go to evaluations throughout her childhood, only initially when she first got on them and again a few more times as an adult, which added up to about 3 hours throughout her life of observation during which she and her mom followed a plan they spent a lot of time rehearsing together that her mom had plotted out, along with about 40-50 hours preparing fake evidence like diaries, and to be quite honest her mom was involved in a decent amount of criminal activity when she was in her 20's before she had kids, so she wasn't exactly an amateur.

BL

The money was set up to be direct deposited into a bank account of my fiancé's mom she no longer used (I guess she forgot she set the SSI case to be direct deposited there), but the bank took the money ($1200 so far) because she owed a couple thousand to the bank.
I'm going to deal with this and this only.

The bank or any other creditor can not seize or take identifiable SSA benefits.

Your fiancé should speak to SSA about the matter and request she be appointed her own payee.

Your getting in too deep here ,you're not even married .

We don't care about personal history .This is a legal site and I gave legal advice .

Obviously you two have a hell of a lot of faith in the system
Just for the record ,we know the system a bit more than you do.

When a minor ages out to an Adult under SSA regulations , they have to qualify as an Adult . Qualifying as an Adult is much more difficult than that of a child .

Last edited:

needsumhelp80

We consider ourselves married, but the only, and I mean only, reason that we're not legally married is that her mom thought that if we got legally married that it would mess up my wife's disability claim because she thought it'd seem suspicious that she was applying for disability for being completely incapable because of acting like a child that can't function without her mother and cat, and then finds someone who's willing to be with her and support her right afterwords. In short, this SSI crap has kept us from getting married too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">