• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket in Ohio by Airplane.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova130

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Today I got a ticket for driving 100mph in a 65mph zone. I'm not gonna mince words or say I didn't do it because I did. But I'm currently planning to fight the ticket. Here's exactly what happened. I was driving in the left lane doing about 70 mph with a car infront of me and a big truck in the middle lane directly to the right of that car. So I signaled and moved over to the far right lane, noticed there was no traffic in any of the 3 lanes for maybe about half a mile so I gunned it. I was in a hurry. I got up to about 100 mph before I took my foot off the accelerator to slow down before catching up with the cars ahead. I was going 100mph for maybe 10 seconds. I had already merged over to the far left lane and slowed down to about 65 by the time I caught up with the rest of traffic and it all slowed down to 60. I wondered why and then noticed the highway patrol about to pull out of the the roundabout. At first I was confused because it didn't look like there was anyone speeding nearby to pull over and I knew there was no way (literally impossible) he saw me before I was already down to 65-70mph range. So I slowed down to traffic and just kept driving but then got nervous when he pulled out directly behind me. He followed me for about 5-10 seconds and I just thought "God, I hate driving with a cop right behind me" Then he flipped his lights on and I just pulled off to the side of the road. He told me I had been clocked by an aircraft going 100mph. I didn't admit to speeding or anything else, just told him I was late for class. I'm already thankful that I didn't get charged with reckless driving but I want to try to beat this ticket.

The most important things I can think are that: I was only speeding for maybe 30 seconds and only 10 of which were even close to 100mph. It would be hard to gauge my speed over such a small time and distance frame. Second, the officer wasn't able to verify my speed himself. I was already slowed down to the legal limit by the time I was even in his sight.

Also, this may be irrelevant but I'm including everything I can think of. At the bottom of the ticket it says "Charging Officer" with a place to sign. And below that "Issuing officer" which was left unsigned and a checkmark ticked that said "Same as above". And the only error on the ticket is that he forgot to note my part B restriction. That's the only error on it. Also probably nothing but he didn't ask for my registration, just license and proof of insurance. I asked him if he needed my registration too and he said no.

The only thing I'm hesitant about is if I fight this they might trump up the charge to reckless driving which would be a LOT worse.

OHRoadwarrior

It would not be a trumped up charge. I am surprised it was not written on sight, coinciding with your arrest. Did you have a question or just an overt need to spread word of your foolishness across the internet? Did I mention you really need a lawyer to represent you?

Nova130

I wasn't coming here to be told I was in the wrong, yes I was in the wrong. I broke the law. Now I'm simply asking for advice. Would it be a good decision to contest the issue? If I do contest it, what kind of things should I bring up in my defense?

TigerD

Here's the problem. You admit to doing it. There is nothing wrong with the ticket or the process.

Your options are rather limited. Pay it. Plead guilty and pay it. Plead not guilty, lose and pay it.

Perhaps this is the time you shrug and say: "Caught me, darn it."

Besides, you've been speeding before when you didn't get caught. Call it karma.

DC

Nova130

I guess this was a poor place to come seeking advice. About the only "advice" I got was "you should have been arrested on the spot" and "You broke the law, you're getting what you deserve".

Not very constructive. I came here for advice on getting out of a ticket, not to be lectured and told what I did was wrong. I know I broke the law, now I'm trying to get away with it. I came asking for advice on doing this, not criticisms of my actions.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I guess this was a poor place to come seeking advice. About the only "advice" I got was "you should have been arrested on the spot" and "You broke the law, you're getting what you deserve".

Not very constructive. I came here for advice on getting out of a ticket, not to be lectured and told what I did was wrong. I know I broke the law, now I'm trying to get away with it. I came asking for advice on doing this, not criticisms of my actions.
This is a legal site, not a 'help me figure out my excuses for driving like a maniac' site. You admit to the crime. What other advice do you want? :cool:

sandyclaus

You came to a legal advice forum to get advice on how to get away with your actions? Sorry. You're looking for that OTHER forum, "howtobreakthelawandgetawaywithit.com". Here, we can advise you on LEGAL options, of which there aren't any to get out of your liability for the ticket you earned.

Don't the door hit you where the good Lord split you as you make your way out. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OHRoadwarrior

The purpose of the forum is not to assist people in breaking the law and getting away with it. If you feel you have a challengeable case, come back and we will attempt to assist you.

quincy

... I know I broke the law, now I'm trying to get away with it. ...
You are right. This is definitely the wrong place to come to find a way to "get away" with breaking a law that you admit to breaking.

You can consult with an attorney in your area, however, to see if there is anything in the facts that are present in your situation that could possibly support a legitimate defense for going 100 in a 65mph zone.

I can tell you that the fact that you were late for class and in a hurry is not a good defense for speeding. The "speeding for only 30 seconds" is not a great defense when, in at least those 30 seconds, you were going well above the speed limit in traffic. The fact that the Officer checked "same as above" for issuing officer on the ticket will be no defense at all.

I imagine you could get the 100 reduced a bit - not that this will do you much good.

Nova130

I think I have challengeable case, I'm asking if others agree based on the information I have provided. I'm also asking what kind of action I should take and why. Sorry if I came off as hostile but I poked around these forums and thought you seemed like a helpful bunch. Then I post my question and am told in no uncertain terms how I deserve this ticket for driving like a maniac, or how I should have been arrested on the spot. Yes, I sped. I was late to class, there weren't any cars around so I drove fast. I got caught and now I'm seeking advice for getting out of these charges.

Nova130

You are right. This is definitely the wrong place to come to find a way to "get away" with breaking a law that you admit to breaking.

You can consult with an attorney in your area, however, to see if there is anything in the facts that are present in your situation that could possibly support a legitimate defense for going 100 in a 65mph zone.
Thank you for a legitimate reply. I wasn't really looking for some way to justify why I did it. I was more looking for some kind of reason to get the case thrown out, or at least put up enough of a defense so that they can't prove me guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt.

OHRoadwarrior

The OH Revised Code does not specify a minimum duration of time you must reach a speed to be charged for reaching it.

Thank you for a legitimate reply. I wasn't really looking for some way to justify why I did it. I was more looking for some kind of reason to get the case thrown out, or at least put up enough of a defense so that they can't prove me guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Nova130

The OH Revised Code does not specify a minimum duration of time you must reach a speed to be charged for reaching it.
I'm not sure if you just didn't understand what I was trying to say with that or if you're just twisting my words.

What I meant was, it's possible to cast doubt on the cop in the air by showing that he only had a very small window to measure my speed. Usually these kinds of systems use mile markers right? I was only traveling at a high speed for maybe 1/4 a mile tops. That's a very small window to get an accurate measurement. That kind of discrepancy, especially if there's others, can pile up and get a case dismissed.

I wasn't saying "Well, I only sped for a little bit so it's OK right?"

TigerD

I'm not sure if you just didn't understand what I was trying to say with that or if you're just twisting my words.

What I meant was, it's possible to cast doubt on the cop in the air by showing that he only had a very small window to measure my speed. Usually these kinds of systems use mile markers right? I was only traveling at a high speed for maybe 1/4 a mile tops. That's a very small window to get an accurate measurement. That kind of discrepancy, especially if there's others, can pile up and get a case dismissed.

I wasn't saying "Well, I only sped for a little bit so it's OK right?"
So do your homework. Make your discovery request.
Start researching the issue and getting it done.

DC

Nova130

So do your homework. Make your discovery request.
Start researching the issue and getting it done.

DC
Part of my "research" entailed asking people like you. People who know more about this than I do. What exactly should I make my discovery request about? What should I request? Right now I'm thinking the log from the officer in the air, but I can't think of anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">