• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket in Ohio by Airplane.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsawood

Speeding Ticket Ohio Airplane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Today I got a ticket for driving 100mph in a 65mph zone. I'm not gonna mince words or say I didn't do it because I did. But I'm currently planning to fight the ticket. Here's exactly what happened. I was driving in the left lane doing about 70 mph with a car infront of me and a big truck in the middle lane directly to the right of that car. So I signaled and moved over to the far right lane, noticed there was no traffic in any of the 3 lanes for maybe about half a mile so I gunned it. I was in a hurry. I got up to about 100 mph before I took my foot off the accelerator to slow down before catching up with the cars ahead. I was going 100mph for maybe 10 seconds. I had already merged over to the far left lane and slowed down to about 65 by the time I caught up with the rest of traffic and it all slowed down to 60. I wondered why and then noticed the highway patrol about to pull out of the the roundabout. At first I was confused because it didn't look like there was anyone speeding nearby to pull over and I knew there was no way (literally impossible) he saw me before I was already down to 65-70mph range. So I slowed down to traffic and just kept driving but then got nervous when he pulled out directly behind me. He followed me for about 5-10 seconds and I just thought "God, I hate driving with a cop right behind me" Then he flipped his lights on and I just pulled off to the side of the road. He told me I had been clocked by an aircraft going 100mph. I didn't admit to speeding or anything else, just told him I was late for class. I'm already thankful that I didn't get charged with reckless driving but I want to try to beat this ticket.

The most important things I can think are that: I was only speeding for maybe 30 seconds and only 10 of which were even close to 100mph. It would be hard to gauge my speed over such a small time and distance frame. Second, the officer wasn't able to verify my speed himself. I was already slowed down to the legal limit by the time I was even in his sight.

Also, this may be irrelevant but I'm including everything I can think of. At the bottom of the ticket it says "Charging Officer" with a place to sign. And below that "Issuing officer" which was left unsigned and a checkmark ticked that said "Same as above". And the only error on the ticket is that he forgot to note my part B restriction. That's the only error on it. Also probably nothing but he didn't ask for my registration, just license and proof of insurance. I asked him if he needed my registration too and he said no.

The only thing I'm hesitant about is if I fight this they might trump up the charge to reckless driving which would be a LOT worse.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Hello Nova 130;
First thing is this; You need to do a whole bunch of research on the code you violated, what is required on the ticket, everything.
And, you need to get real. Very real.

Beyond that observation, you have stated nothing about why you think you have a case.
He didn't ask for your registration? That scoundrel! We'll make him stay late and wash the squad cars. That'll teach him.
Your point on this was just, what ?

Part B restriction; I have no idea what that is but sounds thoroughly unimportant.

Charging officer and Issuing officer. Do some research.
Start here; "4511.091 Arrest or citation of driver based on radar, timing device or radio message from another officer".
You need to learn who can or must sign the ticket & when.
Here is a clue, estimating/ clocking speed of cars from aircraft is common. Ohio seems to be the champion on this technique.
Good luck.
There are guidelines and rules as to how they do it.
Do your research. You need to understand what Charging and Issuing officer information is and how it is used. Not just about using aircraft.

Reckless driving. In some places, 100 mph is considered Reckless Driving. At certain speeds, they yank you and your car off the road as a safety issue. You are in jail for a few hours, and your car is towed, you pay the tow charges. They might hold it for several days.
I am glad there are cops out there grabbing people like you.
Usually at that point, you have reached reckless driving.
The guy I helped convict who tailgated me 4 ft off my bumper at 65 mph for half a mile, eventually running into me,
by odd chance, seen by a NH Trooper who hauled after him, passing me on the exit ramp when the guy would not stop,
lost his license for 3 months and had a $500 fine.

As for the citation, from the aircraft, I am a pilot.
In CA, at an airshow a trooper CHiPS guy was there with his Cessna 180. Very nice guy.
He explained how they clock vehicles from the air. It is timing obviously, not radar or laser.
It sounded more complicated than it should be, but they do it, it works.
They even have a loudspeaker on the outside of the plane to broadcast and tell you to pull over!

There are hundreds of marks on the roadway set as measured distances.
They use stopwatches, the watches must be calibrated at certain time intervals, every 6 months perhaps, just like radar units.
The times written on the ticket must match between the 2 officers.
Just like any traffic infraction, there are rules, guidelines and laws.
Don't believe they have to time you for a mile, or half a mile.
You might find there are many marks close together, which makes it easier.

Spot someone going fast. Keep an eye on him, look for him accelerating very fast, look for first mark on the road, click stopwatch,
Click again 5 or 10 seconds later.
Radio the info down to the car on the road.
They might use 3 stopwatches and have you timed at three different sections of road.

Your terrific graphic account of the cars, the lanes, the speed, the big truck, the 60, the 65, the 70, the 100 and the 10 seconds are all very enlightening. I just wonder how anyone can be so involved and specific about such detail but think it hardly possible at all for someone to clock you at 100 mph. Here is another clue. I'll bet you were going 110 at one point. Maybe faster.

So, like any ticket, you want to win, go do your research.
Find the reason(s) you might win, and go take your chances.

But if your grasp of things, as I perceive them now, from this post, being a 2,
(I assume someone could be a 1, even a little more clueless than you),
you would have to get up to about 20 just to be in the same game as the cops and the judge.

That is how much work you need to do.
You need to say, and prove, they did it wrong, they busted the rules,
the stopwatch was the wrong type/ brand, not calibrated, the times were wrong on the ticket,
they grabbed the wrong car, the sun was in his eyes, he had doughnut dust all over his sunglasses and couldn't see,
wrong signatures, in the wrong places, etc.
I've done enough research for others in the 6 days I've been on this site.

otherwise, Slow down

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">