• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

starting a charitable foundation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yogaleese

What is the name of your state? new jersey

I want to start a charitable foundation...what are some of the steps involved in getting that started?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

yogaleese said:
What is the name of your state? new jersey

I want to start a charitable foundation...what are some of the steps involved in getting that started?

My response:

The first step is to always name me as the sole beneficiary. Thank you.

IAAL

Y

yogaleese

ha ha ha...you are all very funny....
:rolleyes:

Now, seriously, does anyone have any advice for me??????:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

yogaleese said:
ha ha ha...you are all very funny....
:rolleyes:

Now, seriously, does anyone have any advice for me??????:confused:
My response:

I don't understand what you thought was so funny. I was serious. The first step is to make me the sole beneficiary.

In every book on the subject, that you can find at Barnes & Noble bookstores, it will say "The first step is to make IAAL the sole beneficiary."

That was a hint . . . go get one.

IAAL

Y

yogaleese

there are much more worthwhile causes than making you the beneficiary.........jerk!!!

Thanks for the hint..you could have just said it straight out without being so sarcastic.

Any other advice from anyone else would be appreciated...

H

hexeliebe

listen yoga, you're asking a question that not only has tax implications, but also state and federal laws that pertain to the running and disposition of a charitable organization.

A book will help you get started. But a forum is no place to get the answers because you will not only need a corporation attorney, a tax attorney and a financial accountant, but also you'll need to either know or have someone who knows the specific state stautes regarding charities in every state you wish to operate in.

In other words, this isn't something you can or should do overnight or on a forum. And a book which explains all the pittfalls and advantages is the only advice you're going to get here because it's the only way for you to know how to proceed.

Hell, you didn't even give any information as to the form of the charitable foundation, its purpose or goals. Did you really expect to get a formal education based on "I want to start a charitable foundation?" and nothing more?

Y

yogaleese

well, I certainly have an education now...the people who participate in this forum apparently are concerned more with sounding clever than giving advice. Why do you bother?? You could have stated your case in a more human way rather than filling it with condescension and sarcasm. The nature of my foundation is of no concern to you..I was simply looking for some advice on resources to get started. However, if you had asked nicely, I would have told you.

Thanks for all your "help."

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

yogaleese said:
there are much more worthwhile causes than making you the beneficiary.........jerk!!!

Thanks for the hint..you could have just said it straight out without being so sarcastic.

====================================

My response:

Now, that wasn't nice or "charitable"!

Did you actually NEED someone to tell you to get a book on the subject? If so, then starting a "charitable trust" isn't something you should be doing. And, if that's the case, and you need someone to tell you what would be obvious to the vast majority of people, then if you want to walk, you place your right foot forward, then your left foot, then your right, then your left (keep repeating until you run into a brick wall) Oooops, I should have told you to stop!

And, for God's sake, don't chew gum at the same time!

IAAL

H

hexeliebe

Yoga;

You are a great example of why I don't come to this forum as much as I used to. I tried to give you the reasons no responsible party will give you a course on starting a foundation based on the information you gave.

And what did you do? You pissed where you should have listened.

I'm done with you. Take your concern someplace else.

By the way, just so you know. Last year I donated $3.2 million to charities throughout Nashville without having the need to start a foundation.

Why? Because the legal and tax implications were way too restricting and the monies I wanted the charities to have would have been diluted.

Now why do you think I gave you the information I did? It sure wasn't to hear myself talk or to be pissed on by you.

Y

yogaleese

you obviously have issues...I would have gladly accepted your advice had you offered it in a polite way...
By the way, I don't just want to donate money..I want to organize the collection of money and I thought a foundation would be a "legal" way to do that.
In addition, I am not impressed by your sizable contribution despite how wonderful it is on your part..
Next time, think about your tone when you answer a letter.

H

hexeliebe

And just how do you denote "TONE" from the written word? You're an idiot. and the more you open your computer the more you prove it.

Do the world a favor and find an existing organization to work with. If you are in charge of something like this who knows the damage you could do.

By the way loser, I don't try to impress people. There are only two people in this world I need to impress and one of them looks back at me in the mirror.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Now, that wasn't nice or "charitable"!

Did you actually NEED someone to tell you to get a book on the subject? If so, then starting a "charitable trust" isn't something you should be doing. And, if that's the case, and you need someone to tell you what would be obvious to the vast majority of people, then if you want to walk, you place your right foot forward, then your left foot, then your right, then your left (keep repeating until you run into a brick wall) Oooops, I should have told you to stop!

And, for God's sake, don't chew gum at the same time!

IAAL

Y

yogaleese

Wow, the hostility on this board is overwhelming as is the immaturity and utter lack of manners. I was simply responding to your original rude response and other people decided to join in. No, I did not need someone to tell me to buy a book. I thought this site was for advice and that's what I was looking for..not to be insulted.
In addition, anyone with a brain can get TONE from the written word.....maybe you should work on your self awareness rather than just staring at your reflection!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">