• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

starting a charitable foundation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

redgal

your old and ugly

listen up hex and the other wierdo I have seen your answers to other questions on the board and guess what you were wrong. So now you are old ugly and stupid. Yoga, will find the answer to the question but not from old fools who pretend to be lawyers. No one on these boards wants to hear from you two, so go away now. Now if by some strange chance you are lawyers, well now I can see why you are here and not at your office because oh my you don't have an office and why because you have no clients How funny. Carre and Yoga don't waste your time with the likes of these two.

AWWEE RED...Who is the "wierdo"?

If your gonna name one then don't single them out and give a "pet name" for the other.

Last edited:
Y

yogaleese

carre, thank you for your words of sanity. To those of you who chose to respond to me by "YELLING" at me....
blah, blah, blah...
You probably have great advice, but I don't want to hear it and you need to get a life..you are all very unhappy, bitter people. If you are attorneys, you give the profession a bad name.
All I wanted was some kind, yes, simple, words of advice to get me headed in the right direction; Not a course in creating a foundation, as you put it.
Shame on you!!

To those of you who chose to respond to me by "YELLING" at me....

Look..Only Hex and I have put emphasis on our words..(I don't mean to speak for ya HEX) If you think that is yelling..then so be it!!!.. Fine it is yelling but guess what....EITHER way...You have put yourself in a place to deserve it.

REREAD my reply!!!!(or any for that matter!) You should have done your research before you started a thread.]

H

hexeliebe

O.K. kids, at the risk of taking more grief for nothing, I'm going to try to put this thread to an end before Mary does.

As I said before, long before all this, your inability or refusal to give any details about what type of foundation you'd like to start simply is too broad to give a relevant answer much less a legal one.

However, in 10 minutes I found more than 4 volumns of Tax Code regulating all sorts of charitable foundations at the IRS site. a brief display of some of the publications are listed below:

CPE for FY 2004:
Credit Counseling Agencies
A discussion of the requirements for exemption of consumer credit counseling agencies under IRC 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4), and of the inter-relationship between federal tax principles and federal and state consumer protection laws relating to credit repair agencies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPE for FY 2003:
Trusts: Common Law and IRC 501(c)(3) and 4947
A discussion of common law and federal tax definitions, distinctions, and rules regarding trusts, with a focus on charitable trusts and IRC 501(c)(3), and some discussion of IRC 4947.

Public Charity or Private Foundation Status
An overview of issues under IRC 509(a)(1)-(4), 4942(j)(3) and 507, confronted when dealing whether an organization is a public charity or a private foundation, whether it is a private operating foundation, and the termination of private foundation status.

Disclosure, FOIA, and The Privacy Act
An overview of federal statutory requirements relating to disclosure of exempt organization information, and protection of confidential and private taxpayer information.

Employment Tax Update - Review of Current Litigation
An update of case law and law review articles in recent years addressing employer classification and withholding issues of interest to tax-exempt organizations.

Intermediate Sanctions (IRC 4958) Update
A discussion of principal changes and several key issues in the final regulations under IRC 4958.

Housing Partnership Agreements
An update of tax law issues for exempt organizations participating in partnerships with non-exempt entities to provide funding for low-income housing projects.

Form 990, Schedule A and Schedule B
A discussion of specific issues on Form 990, Schedule A and Schedule B, including who files the forms, who is excepted from filing, and disclosure requirements.

IRC 501(c)(4) Organizations
A discussion of issues relating to the tax-exempt status under IRC 501(c)(4) of civic leagues, social welfare organizations, and local associations of employees.

IRC 501(c)(5) Organizations
A discussion of issues relating to the tax-exempt status under IRC 501(c)(5) of labor, agricultural, and horticultural organizations.

IRC 501(c)(6) Organizations
A discussion of issues relating to the tax-exempt status under IRC 501(c)(6) of business leagues, chambers of commerce, boards of trade, and similar organizations.

Political Campaign and Lobbying Activities of IRC 501(c)(4), (c)(5) and (c)(6) Organizations
An overview of the rules relating to political campaign and lobbying activities of IRC 501(c)(4), 501(c)(5), and 501(c)(6) organizations, including a discussion of the notice, disallowance, and proxy tax provisions in IRC 162(e) and 6033(e).

Disaster Relief - Current Developments
A synopsis of the significant developments relating to tax-exempt disaster relief organizations since September 11, 2001.

Fraternity Foundation Grants
An explanation of the types of grants a fraternity or sorority foundation may provide to a fraternity or sorority chapter house that will further the exclusively educational purposes of the fraternity or sorority foundation.

Now, since you never stated whether this is a private or public foundation, I don't know how to tell you where to look for the relevant tax codes.

As for substantative jurisdictional laws regulating charitable foundations, that's a whole new can of worms, as I said before. Because you refuse to discuss what type of foundation you want to begin, what it's purpose is or even where it will operate, you could be under the jurisdiction of only one state, the state of formation, or all 50 states if you solicit contributions or make distributions in any of them.

Also, if you disburse funds to people and/or organizations outside the U.S. you are subject to every kind of law from European Union Treaty on Charities to UNESCO and the laws of the jurisdiction where the monies will be distributed.

Now, have you heard about a new organization in the U.S. called Homeland Security? Or the NSA? How about the CIA? Any and all of the agencies will also come into play if you disburse funds overseas. Much like encryption technology. Ever wonder why no more than 128 key encryption has not been developed?

Well it has, and many years ago. But the NSA in their charter has abolute power to deny an export license for any encryption alogrythm it deems not in the national interest.

Now do you see how complicated your little question is?

And that's why, without further information, as I requested many hours ago, any answer you get will be wrong.

Now I'm done with you. Except to tell you that if you had done 10 minutes of work for yourself you would have found a website that could have given you all this information and more.

Http://www.cof.org

Y

yogaleese

thank you for that information, but I am not an attorney and I was looking for information in layman's terms. I mistakenly thought that was what this forum was for...
If you had asked with some respect at the beginning of the thread, I would have told you that we are raising money to help jewish children in Argentina who have been affected by the recent economic crisis...I know this gets into international territory, but I thought if someone could give me a DIRECTION to head in, that's all, NOT A TAX COURSE, then I could do some research on my own which is what I was trying to do!!
You are all so disrespectful..again, shame on all of you............

Y

yogaleese

I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO ANY OF YOU JERKS ANY LONGER...PLEASE DON'T RESPOND!!!
IF YOU ARE A NORMAL PERSON WITH SOME USEFUL INFORMATION, PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECTLY...OTHERWISE GET LOST!!!

Hex...I do believe you just wasted your breath...or gave yourself carple-tunnel syndrome ...for nothing...This OP however might..OOPS..as their posts says, while I was typing this, he/she is an ignorant person. Well I was going to say the (OP) might appreciate the legal info you gave...but I guess not!!!

OH Well...time better spent elsewhere!!:rolleyes:

A

angelsabove

Here's the scoop on a charity organization or a non profit. First of all it's not you that runs things you have a board. Then you have everybody else taking a bite out each step of the way. So really read alot before getting involved. Because it's a nice cause but is really bits when everyone else wants a piece of the pie. Be careful and what the laws they are very strict. DOT THOSE I'S
and CROSS THOSE T'S.
Good Luck

Read a lot, search the web you'll find the information.

you can email if you like.

Y

yogaleese

thank you for talking to me like an adult!!!
Is there a way to do this that you know of without getting involved with boards, etc. We are starting very small and want to know if we can "legally" raise money without starting an actual fund....
we started this project through a day camp that I was working at. We want to continue the project now that the camp is over.

H

hexeliebe

Angel;

I hope you can help this lady. Because I have tried but she still seems to think this is just a simple thing of getting started and away we go.

Just so you know, although this is an international charitable foundation she wants to begin, the following publications are very important:

COF Comments on U.S. Department of Treasury Anti-Terrorist Financing Guidelines (June 2003)

Anti-Terrorism Legislation & U.S. Treasury Guidelines

Also, although she ignored my analogy regarding encryption alogrythms, it still holds true. There are legal implications as well as security concerns for any monies crossing the borders, even if it's to Argentina.

A

angelsabove

Everything you do has to have a board. You have to Have bylaws
you have to follow all state and federal and (international)(and in your case) regulations laws at all times. You also have to make sure you are able be licensed as that charity. Eventhough you say your starting out small it does not matter. If you do not follow the rules of structuring a non-profit organization you have to pay taxes on all monies received and that means you could go to jail for unlawful representation of a charity.
Be Careful this is not a walk in the park. Follow the LAWS PLEASE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">