• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099-INT question on a joint bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Erin60034

I opened a joint account at my bank, and put my daughter as a joint account holder. This is a joint account with right of survivorship so my daughter will inherit all my money at the time of my passing. The daughter did not deposit any of her money to this joint account. In the past years, the bank only put my name and my SSN on the 1099-INT for the joint account, and issued the 10099-INT to me only. However, this year, the bank put both my name and daughter's name on 1099-INT. Bank only put my SSN and issued the 1099-INT to me. They did not put daughter's SSN, and did not issue a 1099-INT on the joint account to the daughter. Bank putting both my name and daughter's name on the 1099-INT is new this year. In the past years, I reported the entire1099-INT on my return, and no issue from IRS. Now the bank has put daughter's name on 1099-INT, does the IRS still allow reporting the entire 1099-INT on my return only?

LdiJ

I opened a joint account at my bank, and put my daughter as a joint account holder. This is a joint account with right of survivorship so my daughter will inherit all my money at the time of my passing. The daughter did not deposit any of her money to this joint account. In the past years, the bank only put my name and my SSN on the 1099-INT for the joint account, and issued the 10099-INT to me only. However, this year, the bank put both my name and daughter's name on 1099-INT. Bank only put my SSN and issued the 1099-INT to me. They did not put daughter's SSN, and did not issue a 1099-INT on the joint account to the daughter. Bank putting both my name and daughter's name on the 1099-INT is new this year. In the past years, I reported the entire1099-INT on my return, and no issue from IRS. Now the bank has put daughter's name on 1099-INT, does the IRS still allow reporting the entire 1099-INT on my return only?
Yes, the fact that her name is also on the 1099-INT is irrelevant for tax purposes. That kind of thing happens all the time. It is new for you, but it is commonplace for the IRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">