• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year old quite school are we obligated to pay child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hearts41

Here in FL its age 16 with parental consent. My nephew did just that, why any parent would agree to this, who knows! Now he sits on his behind all day long, no job, no life, no education. He has already been in trouble with the law. OP I urge you to have your hubby look into helping his son out all he can with getting a high school education.

Gracie3787

I've seen it where parents just want the school to quit bugging them about their kid. Pathetic parenting.... :mad:
There is a worse situation- I've seen CP's (my hubby's ex included) who will deliberately allow their child to skip school and get low grades specifically to keep the CS coming in, in the states, like Florida, where CS can continue until age 19 or 20 as long as the child is still in HS. (It backfired on hubby's ex, the CSE and Judge stopped the CS at age 18 because it was obvious that Mom didn't want son to graduate).

Both situations are disgusting though.

LdiJ

Dad could trying bluffing mom that he would get child support eliminated if she allows the child to drop out. Maybe that would scare mom enough to keep the child in school.

There are also alternatives to traditional high school that work well for some kids...even better for some kids.

hearts41

There is a worse situation- I've seen CP's (my hubby's ex included) who will deliberately allow their child to skip school and get low grades specifically to keep the CS coming in, in the states, like Florida, where CS can continue until age 19 or 20 as long as the child is still in HS. (It backfired on hubby's ex, the CSE and Judge stopped the CS at age 18 because it was obvious that Mom didn't want son to graduate).

Both situations are disgusting though.
743.07 FL statuate says otherwise, you cannot collect CS on a healthy 20 year old. If a child is in HS they have to be between the ages of 18 - 19 with a reasonable expectation of graduation prior to their 19th bday. In my sons case I had to get something from his school saying he was a senior and was in fact in school (not skipping) and expected to graduate prior to this 19th bday. Can't imagine holding your kid back just to get CS, ACK!

734.07 This section shall not prohibit any court of competent jurisdiction from requiring support for a dependent person beyond the age of 18 years when such dependency is because of a mental or physical incapacity which began prior to such person reaching majority or if the person is dependent in fact, is between the ages of 18 and 19, and is still in high school, performing in good faith with a reasonable expectation of graduation before the age of 19.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">