• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old need to move out- Florida - 8 months until 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

Your friend does not have custody of you - your mother has custody of you. So Mom saying, Bring her home, trumps your friend saying, it's okay, she's with me.

It is, in fact, NOT okay. If mom says you go home, then you go home.
Some 17 year old persons sound (and act) more like seven year old children.

Kaybugg

It is possible that you would not be returned to your mother, even if your mother calls the police to report you as a runaway. It depends on the facts.
Which route would be best to go? Telling her where I'm going and who I'm with or telling the police where I am and that I'm safe?

eerelations

I think if OP's mother is truly abusing OP (as OP keeps insisting she is) then OP's only* legal recourse is to report her mother to CPS. If, after investigating, CPS finds that OP is truly being abused, then CPS will place OP in foster care. If, however, CPS finds that OP's mother is not abusing OP, then OP will be legally required to remain with her mother until she (the OP) turns 18.

*Yes OP, this is it, your only legal recourse.

quincy

Which route would be best to go? Telling her where I'm going and who I'm with or telling the police where I am and that I'm safe?
If you tell your mother where you are going and who you will be with, she may surprise you and consent to your move.

If you call the police and tell them where you are and that you are safe, they will inform your mother.

The route you choose to take is up to you but it is best to let your mom and the police know where you are rather than trying to hide your location. You do not want to be reported as a runaway. This is not good for you and it is not good for the friends you are looking to for shelter.

I agree with the others that, if you are really being abused, the abuse should be investigated. You do not want to be returned to a home where you are suffering real physical or emotional abuse.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are being physically abused, the route that would be best to go would be to report what is going on to the relevant authorities.

If you are not being physically abused, the route that would be best to go would be to ASK PERMISSION.

quincy

Thank you for the "friend request," Kaybugg.

It has always been my policy on this site not to accept these requests - but they are always appreciated.

Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do. :)

FarmerJ

Kay If it really meant that much to you about this car that you legally cant own yet then talk to her about doing Norplant. (yes even if your not sexually active right now , its about long term coverage) 30 + years ago if a parent wanted a minor returned home many local PD did it no matter what was going on in the home , its different now in that when reports are filed they are followed up on as far as abuse issues. 8 months is doable and once you turn 18 you are free to walk out the door and never return. SO does your mom deny you food or shelter or clothing or medical care ? after that then gotta ask does she physically abuse you ? if she doesn't then does she verbally abuse you ?

commentator

One thing that may be getting overlooked here, if mom is receiving any form of structured aid for this daughter such as child support, SS Dependent's allowances, Food Stamps, anything that calculates income on the basis of the number of people in the family, or based on this child being a part of the family, she is NOT likely to let you go easily until you are 18, because she is getting part of her income based on your being included in her family. You're a cash cow in this case. This could very well be the reason she moved and changed her living arrangements a while ago and started actively parenting again. Or maybe, she was just trying to do better. In any case, yelling at you every day and not letting you use the car are NOT likely to be considered serious abuse such that you'd be removed from the home.

That you "don't want to involve the police" with your home situation is sort of a giveaway that it's not bad enough to classify as realiy serious abuse. If you'd rather be where you were, in all the verbal and emotional abuse, than be in juvie (or anywhere else, except this place you want to run away to) that's going to be something they consider in trying to judge whether you are really being abused. Would you rather, given the two choices, spend your time these next 8 months at home with your mother or in a foster care placement? You can bet on it, if you leave to stay with friends, the minute your mother gets involved and the police get involved, those adult friends/parents of your friends, etc. will go right along with whatever the police and your mother want done with you. Without her cooperation and permission, you are in a sort of problem situation in which you need to hold on for 8 more months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">