• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old, no license got in car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CURIOUSNESS

What is the name of your state? CA

17 year old sister, who rank top 20 in her class and who will be 18 in June drove her boyfriend's car without a license or permit and got in an accident at a Wal-Mart's parking lot, no body hurt, hit a parked car (minor bumper damage) & parked trailer (no damage). Boyfriend's car was mostly damage. My sister & friends stayed at the scene. Boyfriend told her to lie to the cop so she told the cop that she wasn't driving. She got arrested, ticket for false info. to officer & driving without a license, a slip to go to juvenile office and was released to my parents.

Paid ticket and juvenile office before due date. Juvenile dept. said no claims filed at the time so, we thought everything was done. End of Jan. received letter from juvenile probation officer requesting for meeting on 3/30/06. Probation officer informed that there were 3 charges: false info. to officer, driving w/out license, & hit & run. Told probation officer that we were not aware of the hit & run charge, no papers that we have had states hit & run. The affidaviat that the probation officer has states the 3 charges. Told prob.officer that we had paid ticket already. Prob. officer had no records because ticket was paid in adult court. It turns out the arresting officer sent my sister to both adult and juvenile court which makes it more confusing per probation officer. My sister now has an adult record, driving w/out license and a juvenile record, false info. to cop and hit & run (driving w/out license was removed from juvenile record since was already dealt with in adult court).

Questions: Should we dispute the hit & run and take it to juvenile court since we were not notified by anyone that she was being charge with it and she did not leave the scene?

Should we accept all of the charges, false info. to cop and hit & run and have the probation officer close the case? Then when my sister turns 18, she can request the Juvenile court to "seal" her records. If case is close, does she have to disclose this on job applications and DMV?

Can a "sealed" record be retrieved?

Since the driving without a license ticket was paid in the adult court, could we have this transfered to juvenile court and have it "sealed"?

Eagerly needs help,
CuriousnessWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">