• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old who dosen't want to leave the state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddbs1967

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? nj

have a 17 year old who dropped out of school, his mother wants to move out of state, and he dosen't. he has a place to stay in nj with his best friends parents.

we have talked to his parents and they don't want to let him stay in nj, what are his rights?

how can we help him stay in nj, and not leave with him parents?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? nj

have a 17 year old who dropped out of school, his mother wants to move out of state, and he dosen't. he has a place to stay in nj with his best friends parents.

we have talked to his parents and they don't want to let him stay in nj, what are his rights?

how can we help him stay in nj, and not leave with him parents?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

His rights are to move where his parents want him to move.

Who are you in the situation?

ddbs1967

are you a lawyer? we are looking for legal advice... have been told that if he dropped out of school he is concided emancipated in the stated of New Jersey.

Proserpina

so what your telling me is short of him running away from home and not getting caught. he is pritty much stuck leaving with his mom.

In a nutshell, yes.

Please - please don't think about harboring him if he does run away. I understand that you want to help him out, and that's great - but you could be inviting a whole heap of trouble on yourselves if he moves in with you against the wishes of his parents. And while it is true that in some states the police won't force a 17 year old to return home, I'm not sure I'd want to risk it - you know?

If his parents were divorced/separated, the other parent would have been able to file something to try and stop the relocation but honestly, he'd likely be 18 anyway by the time it would be all over and done.

Encourage him positively - and bear in mind that at 12:01 on the morning of his 18th birthday, he can leave his house and move wherever he wants to go.

(Assuming his parents aren't moving to Alabama or one of the other states in which the age of majority is NOT 18)

ddbs1967

I wasn't planning on that, have freinds in the police department here, will ask them their policy on that matter.... thanks for all the advice was very helpful..

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well... I'm guessing a HS drop-out will fit right into your home. :rolleyes:

But no - he is not emancipated simply because he made a foolish decision.

Just Blue

Well... I'm guessing a HS drop-out will fit right into your home. :rolleyes:

But no - he is not emancipated simply because he made a foolish decision.
LOL! No kidding! The "concided" comment was the "tell" for me...Well along with an "adult" actually posting this question(;))...But what was the deal breaker for you Hon? :D

Just Blue

ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!

Read the posting Hx. Too flipping funny!!!!!

My thought? ddbs is short for dribble. As in: I dribble when living. ;)

anearthw

As a parent, why do you feel it is appropriate for any child to drop out of high school because they do not want to obey their parents for a few months?

Do you have any idea of the long-term consequences that this child could face (employment, education) because of your attempts to evade his parent's God and state-given rights?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">