• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KingFahad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tx
What are the penalties? Will a diversion program help? I am sorry for my actions.
Thank you

Last edited:

CavemanLawyer

Do you truly mean DUI or DWI? Many people get them confused and there is a huge difference. DUI is when you drink and drive under the age of 21, whether you are legally intoxicated or not. It is only a class C punishable by a fine and there plenty of diversion options.

DWI is not nearly as simple. First offense is punishable by anywhere up to 6 months in jail and/or a $2000 fine. Typical punishment plea offers are one year probation with a fine and possibly a small amount of jailtime as a condition. There are VERY rarely any pre-trial diversion programs for DWI offered in Texas because it is arguably unconstitutional. (ex: Statute specifically says no deferred probation for DWI and pre-trial diversion programs are a form of deferred prosecution which could in many ways be analogous to deferred adjudication.) The only county I know of that offers diversion programs for DWI's is Harris County. Just get yourself an attorney and see what he/she can do for you. That is your best option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">