• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Day Sales Cancellation Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I wouldn't think so. But there are sometimes intricacies about that aspect that can hold things up.

justalayman

Thank you both very much for your help. As for my second question. Are they able to sell a car without the pink slip and without consent from both owners?
That depends. If it stated "mouseclick OR Mrs Mouseclick", yes, they could do anything with the car as long as either mouseclick OR Mrs Mouseclick signed off on the title. If there was no OR, then no, they could not sell the vehicle without both parties signing off on the title

but even worse: mouseclick could not tender the car as a trade in because mouseclick did not have the authority to unilaterally transfer the title. It could be a serious issue if mouseclick represented himself as being able to transfer the title without Mrs. Mouseclick signing off as well.

MouseClick

That depends. If it stated "mouseclick OR Mrs Mouseclick", yes, they could do anything with the car as long as either mouseclick OR Mrs Mouseclick signed off on the title. If there was no OR, then no, they could not sell the vehicle without both parties signing off on the title

but even worse: mouseclick could not tender the car as a trade in because mouseclick did not have the authority to unilaterally transfer the title. It could be a serious issue if mouseclick represented himself as being able to transfer the title without Mrs. Mouseclick signing off as well.
Ah okay actually it is Mouseclick and Mother-in-law Mouseclick that are on the title. It does not read "or."

So am I correct in assuming that when I go back to the dealer tomorrow they should not be able to sell off the car I had intended to trade in with out Mother-in-law Mouseclick's approval?

justalayman

Ah okay actually it is Mouseclick and Mother-in-law Mouseclick that are on the title. It does not read "or."

So am I correct in assuming that when I go back to the dealer tomorrow they should not be able to sell off the car I had intended to trade in with out Mother-in-law Mouseclick's approval?
correct, they cannot sell the car without MIL Mouseclick but you may have caused yourself a lot of problems by attempting to trade in a car you had no legal ability to trade in without MIL Mouseclick signing off on the title.

justalayman

Let me ask you this: dealership operators are not dumb when it comes to titles. They would have been aware that MIL was also on the title. How was that supposed to be dealt with?

MouseClick

I want to thank all of you for your quick responses. I was lucky enough that the dealer took the car back and gave me back my own car without any trouble. Other then the dealer trying to say that my MIL's signature was not needed. Then tried to tell me that he would send me a copy of the cancellation papers in the mail when I asked for a copy. I

I received my car back and I received my copy of the cancellation. Now all I need to do is try and convince my father that this dealer he loves so much is a total fraud.

I will count myself lucky and see this as a learning experience when it comes to buying cars and signing papers just because someone else says it's a good deal.

Once again thank you for all your time and effort. You guys and gals are awesome!

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

I want to thank all of you for your quick responses. I was lucky enough that the dealer took the car back and gave me back my own car without any trouble. Other then the dealer trying to say that my MIL's signature was not needed. Then tried to tell me that he would send me a copy of the cancellation papers in the mail when I asked for a copy. I

I received my car back and I received my copy of the cancellation. Now all I need to do is try and convince my father that this dealer he loves so much is a total fraud.

I will count myself lucky and see this as a learning experience when it comes to buying cars and signing papers just because someone else says it's a good deal.

Once again thank you for all your time and effort. You guys and gals are awesome!

(besides jumping to conclusions early on. we deal with so many **ahem** here sometimes I just assume everyone is.)

Thank you! Cheers :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">