• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 yr marriage - TIAA-CREF PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bethy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Just under 2.5 year marriage, I have a retirement plan thru work that is taken out of my paycheck. It is a tax defered annuity plan TIAA-CREF. Husband has no retirement plan.

Being a short termed marriage, would my husband be entitled to any of the TIAA-CREF? No kids, no financial mixings during the marriage.

mistoffolees

Yes. He would be entitled to 1/2 of the marital portion of the account (essentially, the account value at the time of divorce minus the account value at the time of marriage).

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Just under 2.5 year marriage, I have a retirement plan thru work that is taken out of my paycheck. It is a tax defered annuity plan TIAA-CREF. Husband has no retirement plan.

Being a short termed marriage, would my husband be entitled to any of the TIAA-CREF? No kids, no financial mixings during the marriage.
How much have you actually contributed to the account over the last 2.5 years, and did your account lose any value during that time?

Bethy

Tiaa-cref

**sigh**
Yes, after my divorce years ago I started contributing the max...about $600 a month for me which left me 2200/month take home. He has been like a leach financially so this hurts to hear....

mistoffolees

**sigh**
Yes, after my divorce years ago I started contributing the max...about $600 a month for me which left me 2200/month take home. He has been like a leach financially so this hurts to hear....
It's really not going to help your case to be using phrases like 'leach'.

For decades, women tended to stay home and not work while their husbands went out and earned a paycheck. Does that make them leaches?

Whether you like it or not, YOU close your life and its consequences.

Bethy

apologies

You're right, I apologize for that term. I'm highly emotional right now as I recently found out he's 3 months behind on HIS mortgage, still owes me 15k from the loan I made 2 years ago for him (he has no credit) to get his house out of foreclosure and now I"m going to owe him more....I just feel drained, but you're right, I'm sorry for the term.

LdiJ

You're right, I apologize for that term. I'm highly emotional right now as I recently found out he's 3 months behind on HIS mortgage, still owes me 15k from the loan I made 2 years ago for him (he has no credit) to get his house out of foreclosure and now I"m going to owe him more....I just feel drained, but you're right, I'm sorry for the term.
You are also entitled to 50% of the equity that accrued in HIS home during your marriage...and you may have some standing on the loan that you made to him as well.

Its time to do some negotiating...you keeping your retirement assets in exchange for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">