• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 yr rule for spouse to apply for passport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alezajex

A spouse on US national, for green card received on 04/03/21. And visited home country for 30 days during that period. Do I exclude 30 days from 3 yr rule? Or can she apply for N400 on 01/03/23? Or 02/03/23?

Only US citizens are eligible for a US passport. Green card holders would need to seek a passport from the country of their current citizenship.

LdiJ

Only US citizens are eligible for a US passport. Green card holders would need to seek a passport from the country of their current citizenship.
The OP means citizenship rather than a passport. An N400 form is a naturalization form.

OP, a 30 day visit to the home country does not extend the dates required to apply for naturalization. A full three years however is required. Therefore she won't be eligible to apply until after 4/03/2024.

alezajex

@AlmostThere
@LdiJ

You all misread the post

I am a wife of US national. I came to US on IR-1 on 04/03/21. I know I can apply for N400 on 01/04/24. That’s 90 days before 3 yrs meeting requirement. I am asking do I minus days I visited outside of USA for 30 days?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
@AlmostThere
@LdiJ

You all misread the post

I am a wife of US national. I came to US on IR-1 on 04/03/21. I know I can apply for N400 on 01/04/24. That’s 90 days before 3 yrs meeting requirement. I am asking do I minus days I visited outside of USA for 30 days?
Look at your title for the post. IT IS ABOUT A PASSPORT. This is on you.

LdiJ

@AlmostThere
@LdiJ

You all misread the post

At this point it would be best if you consulted an immigration attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">