• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401K question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NY

Hello,

I searched this forum for similar questions, but couldn't find one that would pertain to my particular question, so here goes.

My ex and I have been divorced for 7 years, and in our divorce decree we were to split one of his 401K's, with the provision that I paid an outstanding debt on a leased car (the one that I was driving, but was in his name).

The problem is this - because the lease was not in my name, the lease company would not give me information, nor would they mail me any statements/bills, and stupidly, I gave my ex a check every month to pay for the lease. He has never given me a statement, nor a final bill (from when I turned in the lease vehicle). Because of this, I have never gotten the 401K - though have asked him many times for statements, etc. How do I go about rectifying this situation?

Thanks for any advice.

PS. The lawyer that I used for my divorce is no longer practicing.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NY

Hello,

I searched this forum for similar questions, but couldn't find one that would pertain to my particular question, so here goes.

My ex and I have been divorced for 7 years, and in our divorce decree we were to split one of his 401K's, with the provision that I paid an outstanding debt on a leased car (the one that I was driving, but was in his name).

The problem is this - because the lease was not in my name, the lease company would not give me information, nor would they mail me any statements/bills, and stupidly, I gave my ex a check every month to pay for the lease. He has never given me a statement, nor a final bill (from when I turned in the lease vehicle). Because of this, I have never gotten the 401K - though have asked him many times for statements, etc. How do I go about rectifying this situation?

Thanks for any advice.

PS. The lawyer that I used for my divorce is no longer practicing.
It would probably be best to get yourself another attorney. Your ex is playing games with you.

Thanks for your response,

I figured as much, but man do I get tired of shelling out the money... I guess if I want to get the money rolled over into an IRA or my 401K, I am going to have to spend more money.

Thanks again.

Nurse

wileybunch

You might try one last time with a registered letter citing the terms of the divorce judgment and giving him a reasonable timeframe to come through on this or you will follow up with taking this back to court (on a contempt action). And, if you do, include that you want attorney's fees awarded to you for having to take the action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">