• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

8 hrs of work and no breaks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peppylady

What is the name of your state? Florida

Can someone tell me how many hours you have to work in a day to get a lunch or dinner break? Does Florida have any labor laws pretaining to this? I can't seem to find them. My daughter was hired at Seven Eleven and after the interview the manager told her the job was her's but she said " I want to tell you, you get paid for 8 hrs. and you are expected to work 8 hrs. You get no breaks or dinner breaks. If you smoke you can go outside in the parking lot and while you are smoking you can sweep the parking lot. You can not sit by the register. If I catch you sitting or even leaning on the counter I will send you home and don't expect to come back, you will fired." How can any employer expect someone to work 8 hrs without even a 15 minute break. Is this illegal. I want you to know my daughter told the manager she would have to go home and think about it. I think she did the right thing.
Any insight would be helpful.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Federal law requires no breaks of any kind.

Only about half the states require even meal breaks - only eight require rest breaks of any length. Florida is not one of them. So no, this is not illegal. I'm not saying I approve of it, but if she's getting smoke breaks she's getting more than the law requires.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">