• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

911 tapes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauras2u

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

On tv today, I heard a 911 call from the woman being called octomom. The question occurred to me, are not 911 calls protected in any way from casual requests to hear them?

sorry if wrong forum i didnt see a better one

cyjeff

On tv today, I heard a 911 call from the woman being called octomom. The question occurred to me, are not 911 calls protected in any way from casual requests to hear them?

You do not have any expectation of privacy when you make a 911 call.

Just Blue

No, they are not "protected".

lauras2u

I am attempting to write a book...dont know if i will finish it or if it would sell but...should that happen i would not like the 911 tape of the day that i had a man break into my house and attack me to be public business.

Is there any way to protect 911 tapes for calls made by you?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am attempting to write a book...dont know if i will finish it or if it would sell but...should that happen i would not like the 911 tape of the day that i had a man break into my house and attack me to be public business.

Is there any way to protect 911 tapes for calls made by you?

Ahhh, in that case, here are two answers:

You do not have any expectation of privacy when you make a 911 call.
No, they are not "protected".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Frankly, the answers given prior were the answers to your next question. In fact, the follow-up question was the SAME question, just worded differently.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyjeff

The 911 tapes do not belong to the person making the call. They belong to the state.

Therefore, they are archived and available under the Freedom of Information Act...

cyjeff

Frankly, the answers given prior were the answers to your next question. In fact, the follow-up question was the SAME question, just worded differently.
So what you are saying is that even if I really really really want the situation to be different in MY case over everyone else's case that I can't force the state to change long standing policies?

Did I mention that I really really really want this to be different?

mommyof4

So what you are saying is that even if I really really really want the situation to be different in MY case over everyone else's case that I can't force the state to change long standing policies?

Did I mention that I really really really want this to be different?
No, you have to really really really really really want this to be different. You need at least 5 'reallys'.:D

cyjeff

Does it make u feel good to talk to people like they are idiots?
Does it make u look good to anyone at all on the entire earth?
No, it doesn't.

However, I also don't like repeating myself. I dislike with a passion normally only described in the context of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict when a question has been asked and answered and the OP then plays the "what if" and "even if" games.

If you had stated the entire reason for your question instead of trying to find the "GOTCHA" piece of information that would make the legal question spin on its head, we wouldn't feel like you are wasting the board's limited time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">