• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

9yo getting hit at school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

I have a 9yo daughter that has been getting hit on by a 9yo boy. Approximately two weeks ago at school dismissal and kids were outside waiting to be picked up my DD got in the car and had large red mark on face and said this boy had punched her in the face. I went back to the school and the acting principal and several other adults had seen what happened and said my daughter hadnt done anything to this boy and that he had just punched her. Evidently the boys mom had seen what happened also and called back to the school and told them that my daughter hadnt done anything to her son and that he had punched my daughter.

The next morning the school suspended him for two days for this. The same day he came back they were waiting outside for pick up again and he threw mulch in my daughters face and adults saw it and he got in trouble again, next day he kicked my daughter in her ankle, dont know if anything happened to him for that.

Picked my daughter up yesterday and she gets in car and one cheek is redder than the other and she tells me this same boy punched her in the face again. She says that the adults saw this happen and will deal with it on Monday.

I am not happy that this child keeps doing these things to my child and evidently suspending him didnt work. Is there anything I can do? Since the school really isnt protecting my child from harm can I go to the police and file charges? That may seem harsh to want to do to a 9yo but he has no right to hurt my daughter. What can I do to help protect my child?

GaAtty

GaAtty

First, you absolutely take out criminal charges on him through the juvenile court. In many places you have to do this through the school officer, and some places you just go straight to the juvenile court. He will not get put into jail on a first offense, but something will happen that may make an impression on him. Also, most states have anti-bullying statutes through the schools. You look up your school's student code of conduct and see what it says. Then tell the principal or whomever that you want them to pursue a charge of bullying against him for EACH of the offenses. Often 3 bullying offenses results in suspension for a while. You can also tell the principal that you want him separated from your child, even if that means that he has to be moved from his classes or has to be at the bus or eat at different times.

redleg17

Have you had a conference with the school and the other child's parent? That sometime works**************then again, the future parents of "My kid was shot and killed trying to rob someone, but he was just starting to turn his life around" will come into the conference and just repeat "not my baby! Your kid must have done something".

ecmst12

Did you READ the post? The bully's mom knows he was the aggressor and admitted it to the school.

Bullies have the right to an education too, but there definitely needs to be escalating responses to continued offenses. Really, it sounds like the bully needs therapy too. He's only 9, there is still hope for him.

redleg17

Did you READ the post? The bully's mom knows he was the aggressor and admitted it to the school.

Bullies have the right to an education too, but there definitely needs to be escalating responses to continued offenses. Really, it sounds like the bully needs therapy too. He's only 9, there is still hope for him.
Did she hear it straight from the parent, or the school? School administrators have a nasty habit of avoiding confrontation with parents by just telling them what they want to hear about their own kids. A face to face conference beats getting messeges relayed through the school office. You have no idea what the school is actually telling the other parent, nor do you know what the other kid is running home and telling Mom and Dad.

My son's school told me something similar, "we talked to the other parent and she's dealing with him".....until we had a conference with the other parent and I found out that the other kid was going home and telling his parent that my stepson called him a racial explicative and the parent was patting him on the back for "sticking up for himself", when what was really happening is the kid was beating him him up and taking his lunch money.

Thank you all for your responses.

The acting principal is the one that told me that the other parent had called the school and told them she saw her son hit my daughter and that my daughter had not done anything to her son. What upset me about the school is that I came to pick up my daughter and not one adult came and told me what had happened, my daughter told me after I had driven away. I went right back to the school and thats when they came and told me this stuff and had written up a report about her injury and at the bottom of the report it had "parent notified of injury/incident? yes or no" and they had marked "yes" and yet they hadnt notified me at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">