• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a-2 visa status no more

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluesmap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York City, State

i have a-2 visa status but adult now. my parents no longer have a-2 visa status but are citizens.
what are my options for gaining permanent residency or being able to work again?

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York City, State

i have a-2 visa status but adult now. my parents no longer have a-2 visa status but are citizens.
what are my options for gaining permanent residency or being able to work again?
You hold the A-2 status in your own right, or were here as a dependent of your parents? If you were dependent on their status, you have no more diplomatic status.
If your parents are US citizens, they may petition for you. The wait will depend on your age (over 21 or under) and marital status.

How old were you when your parents naturalized? If over 18, why didn't you do something about it then?

bluesmap

parents naturalized about year ago.
i was dependent my father was a-2 and both parents are citizens now..,
i was over 21 when they naturalized.

can i apply for work document together with their petition?
i am also not married (marital status)

evcalyptos

parents naturalized about year ago.
i was dependent my father was a-2 and both parents are citizens now..,
i was over 21 when they naturalized.

can i apply for work document together with their petition?
i am also not married (marital status)
You do understand that it's --you-- who needs information, right? You need to be more forthcoming about your history, what you have done already etc.

How did you parents go from A-2 to US citizenship? Were they Permanent Residents ever? (I know there are different rules for diplomats & I don't know this information by memory)

Why didn't you do something about this previously? What do you think your valid status is now? To me it looks like you are out of status.

It's very common for people in the US on temporary non immigrant status to have their children age out of any status at age 21. It's common knowledge that the children have to leave the US or find their own way to stay.
If you are out of status now, you probably can not change to any other status.

You can't apply for a work permit if they petition you because there are no visa numbers for your category. The wait is several years.

Barring any special consideration due to the diplomatic nature of the A-2, you sound out of status to me and if you've got 180+ days out of status, you've probably got a ban on returning to the US for a while.

bluesmap

You do understand that it's --you-- who needs information, right? You need to be more forthcoming about your history, what you have done already etc.

How did you parents go from A-2 to US citizenship? Were they Permanent Residents ever? (I know there are different rules for diplomats & I don't know this information by memory)

Why didn't you do something about this previously? What do you think your valid status is now? To me it looks like you are out of status.

It's very common for people in the US on temporary non immigrant status to have their children age out of any status at age 21. It's common knowledge that the children have to leave the US or find their own way to stay.
If you are out of status now, you probably can not change to any other status.

You can't apply for a work permit if they petition you because there are no visa numbers for your category. The wait is several years.

Barring any special consideration due to the diplomatic nature of the A-2, you sound out of status to me and if you've got 180+ days out of status, you've probably got a ban on returning to the US for a while.

as the the question about my parents they got citizenship through the lottery.

how would i know if i am out of status?
my girlfriend and i are getting married and we are considering whether i would be able to change my status or not?

looking at my visa the date of expiration says "d/s, duration of stay"
but again, its an A-2 visa and i only got it when i was younger and my father work was diplomatic in nature.

i just need to know how i find out about my status now and how my marriage will affect it

evcalyptos

as the the question about my parents they got citizenship through the lottery.

how would i know if i am out of status?
my girlfriend and i are getting married and we are considering whether i would be able to change my status or not?

looking at my visa the date of expiration says "d/s, duration of stay"
but again, its an A-2 visa and i only got it when i was younger and my father work was diplomatic in nature.

i just need to know how i find out about my status now and how my marriage will affect it
So your parents aren't citizens, they're permanent residents.

You should probably just spend a couple hundred dollars and go see an immigration lawyer.

bluesmap

i am out of status.
married to a u.s. citizen.

would my wife be able to file i130 or is this something i have to leave the country for and then she file while in the country of origin?

i was under the impression that because i am currently in the u.s., regardless of my out of status my wife can file i130 for me and then i can file i485 (along with g325a, i864, i765)

if for whatever reason i leave the united states would i not be banned for years regardless of marriage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">