• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A friend kicked me out her home and stole my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mstree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I temporarily moved my kids and I in my friend's home and we had a disagreement. Soon after we had the disagreement she told me to get out her house, told me I had until the end of the month ( which was approximately 2 weeks before she moved out the apt) to get my things. I contacted her several times to stand to pick my things up, come to find out she left before it was time to get out of her apartment and took all my things. What can I do legally? The things I had in her home was all I had and I had recently had a house fire and lost everything else. The value of everything was approximately between $7,000- $10,000, and is their a statue of limitation for me to file a claim?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I temporarily moved my kids and I in my friend's home and we had a disagreement. Soon after we had the disagreement she told me to get out her house, told me I had until the end of the month ( which was approximately 2 weeks before she moved out the apt) to get my things. I contacted her several times to stand to pick my things up, come to find out she left before it was time to get out of her apartment and took all my things. What can I do legally? The things I had in her home was all I had and I had recently had a house fire and lost everything else. The value of everything was approximately between $7,000- $10,000, and is their a statue of limitation for me to file a claim?
Did she steal your property or simply take it with her when she moved out? Do you know where she is now? How long ago did all of this occur?

mstree

It happened in September of this year, she claimed she had to put out all of my stuff but I'm not stupid she wouldn't throw it away because for one she was moving back to Alabama and she didn't have any furniture or anything to take with her, I actually had furnished her house when I moved in with her including living room suit, kitchen appliances, dining room table set, 55" LG flat screen tv, PlayStation 3, two boxes full of nothing but DVD movies and CD's, a laptop, some of my college books and supplies, basically my life that I had left and personal items that I saved from ny house fire that can never be replaced... She was considered a friend, and to top all of this I had even stored some of her belongings in my house previously before the house fire happened because she had been evicted from her previous apt. I know the city to where she is located but not the physical address...
And by the way I had attempted to call her do that I could come get my things but she would never answer my phone calls

OHRoadwarrior

You can certainly sue her for the depreciated value of what you can prove she kept. It does not sound like you have much proof.

mstree

I have witnesses, pictures, and receipts. Will that be of any help?
and how long do I have to file the claim?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

You say 7 - 10k Based on them being used items, I think $2k is a stretch. You are within the statute of limitations if you file now. I did not look it up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">