• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question of diversity and court jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

United States District Court

In 2010, an injury occurred against me and the party that injured me was acting under color of state law.
The injury occurred in California, in the jurisdiction of the Southern District of Ca.. After the injury occurred, the party that injured me moved to the State of Utah.

My question is as follows:

I am going to be filing a lawsuit against him soon. Because he now lives in the State of Utah, am I required to file the lawsuit in the United States District Court of Utah where he currently lives? Or, do I file it in the jurisdiction where the actual injury occurred, which so happens to be the jurisdiction where I live? How does this work? Is there anywhere I can find documented authority on this subject? Is it in the federal rules?

Any advice on this subject would be appreciated. Thank You

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">