• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a question to all the lawyers here

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ktarra617

What is the name of your state?tx

I am getting ready to head back to college and finally finish my degree. As I never specified a major I am now at the point that I am ready to do that.

I am considering Paralegal studies. As part of my research into the paralegal field I have found many different schools offering paralegal degrees.

So my question is if you as an attorney were looking for a paralegal for your office, would you consider a person who obtained their degree from a distance education college or would prefer someone who attended a traditional college? Would you prefer a two or four year degree?

I am wanting opinions because I don't want to waste my time or money on a program that won't get me a job in my chosen field.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

ktarra617 said:

I am getting ready to head back to college and finally finish my degree. As I never specified a major I am now at the point that I am ready to do that.

I am considering Paralegal studies. As part of my research into the paralegal field I have found many different schools offering paralegal degrees.

So my question is if you as an attorney were looking for a paralegal for your office, would you consider a person who obtained their degree from a distance education college or would prefer someone who attended a traditional college? Would you prefer a two or four year degree?

I am wanting opinions because I don't want to waste my time or money on a program that won't get me a job in my chosen field.

Thanks!
**A: it makes no difference to me as long as you can get the job done correctly and on time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ktarra617 said:

Thanks!

My response:

I would look to see if you've graduated from an ABA accredited paralegal school - - distance within the same State has nothing to do with it. However, I would want you educated in the laws of the State where you plan on working. For example, if I were considering you for my California office, your Texas credentials and Certificate would have very little weight or meaning for my office - - especially if I had a foyer full of California applicants.

IAAL

ktarra617

Thanks!!

:D if you don't mind colored hair, I have both. But seriously thanks for the advice. I still have some more looking around to do. I am thinking I will probably need to choose a school in Texas as most of the Distance Education schools(such as Ashworth College, Harcourt Learning) are out of state and would probably not teach the laws pertaining to my state.

Thanks again! :p

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ktarra617 said:
:D if you don't mind colored hair, I have both. But seriously thanks for the advice. I still have some more looking around to do. I am thinking I will probably need to choose a school in Texas as most of the Distance Education schools(such as Ashworth College, Harcourt Learning) are out of state and would probably not teach the laws pertaining to my state.

Thanks again! :p

My response:

I have no problem with colored red hair. But, you said you also have big boobs, and that's a subjective statement. As you know "big" is in the eyes of the be"holder" (get it?).

So . . . . what are we talking here, 36DDD, or bigger :eek: , or what?

IAAL

Grace_Adler

LMAO @ IAAL

I know I'm not an attorney.. yet. LOL I don't know if I can be of any help but I thought I'd try based on what I've been told because as a 2nd or 3rd choice in the event I don't get into law school, I was thinking of being a paralegal. Which by the way your question and the responses you recieved were helpful to me as well. You might want to ask the paralegals and attorneys in your area too. The reason I say this is because in the area I live in, most attorneys want you to either have a 4 yr degree at an accredited school or a paralegal degree, as was mentioned. The 4 yr degree can be in pretty much anything such as Criminal Justice (not that it is much help), English, Political Science, etc. The downside is that I spoke with 3 or 4 paralegals in my area that have BAs and they only started out at $22k a year. That isn't very much, especially if you have a 4 yr degree. Now of course, I don't live in an area with 40k or more people in it, so I know in larger cities you start out with more then that but I'm not sure how much more. I'm sure it would depend on where you live. I hope to move anyway once I finish with school and get my degrees.

Anyway, I hope that was helpful. You might want to ask some professors who teach courses in the paralegal program as well. They may be able to tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">