• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A wake up call

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? FL

The school my son goes to has a small building that is across the street on the south side of the main school building. The small building houses 2 small classrooms. My son is in one of them. The building has an 8ft fence around it with a gate that is ALWAYS open! In this gate is also a small playground on the west side of the building.

I was about 30min early yesterday in picking up my son. I noticed that my son's class was on the playground. I went to a tree (inside the fence, on the front west corner of the building) to sit, and watch him play. My son came running up to me with about 10 other kids and we sat and talked for about 5-10 mins. I told them to back where the teacher could see them. One of the little girls said that the teacher sits under the porch by the back door, and doesn't care where they were. This made me curious. They stayed another 10 min with me, then their class went in and I had to tell them to go in.

After the kids went in, I walked to the rear of the building and saw where the teacher was sitting. THERE IS NO WAY that she could see the entire playground. And obviously the little girl was right because in those 20mins that I was talking to the kids the teacher did not even stick her head around the corner to see where the missing children were...........I could have walked off with all of them,( seeing as how the gate is never locked) and been long gone by the time the teacher noticed!

This is what I want to do:

The next time I arrive and the children are at play, When my son comes up to me, I want to take him by the hand and go across the street to the main school building, to the office and either go directly to the principle and tell her what I did, and ask her not to tell the teacher and see how long it takes for her realize my child is gone...or just sit in the office with my son and just watch and wait!

But I do not want to get in any legal trouble. I know it may sound drastic....but I could have been a child abductor or worse, a child molester!.....Can I do this without getting into any legal trouble?

Thanks yall...Sorry about the length

H

hexeliebe

Yes and no.

You're playing a very dangerous game and the school could file charges against you very easily.

In this situation I would take photos of the situation from across the street, including the open gate, the area where the children are playing and try to include the area (if you can) where the teacher is.

If you can't see the area where the teacher is, find a PUBLIC place in which to shoot the teacher (with the camera silly). Then take the photos to the next school board meeting and demand that either the gate be locked during times the children are unsupervised in the play area or that teachers be required (and monitored) to be in an area where they can see both the children and the gate.

If you are intent on your idea, consult with an attorney and I would strongly advise you have that attorney with you when you do this.

find a PUBLIC place in which to shoot the teacher (with the camera silly).
:eek: ........LOL!

Yeah..I think your advice would be better. I thought about just saying something to the teacher, but I didn't/don't think I would get anywhere with that.

Thanks Hex!

H

hexeliebe

You're welcome.

Just remember, you have to make them stand up and pay attention, not alienate them.

I guess my emotions prompted me to come up with my evil plan!

Other than the previously stated concerns about this, I have another. I have an order of protection against my STBX for DV on myself and the children. The school has a copy of it. I wouldn't put it past him to try to snatch him up and run. And the school is making that very easy.:mad:

Thanks again!

H

hexeliebe

All the more reason for you to bring this up at the School Board meeting. The School Board knows their liability in such matters. They will either instruct the school to close the gate during times the children are outside AND supervise them properly or not.

If not, then you need to speak with an attorney ...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I wouldn't be waiting for a school board meeting - I'd be in the principal's office at start of business Monday morning screaming my head off.

H

hexeliebe

The only problem with that momma is that, from my years covering school issues (before I had a real job) 99% of the time principles take the excuse of "I'll have to take this up with the school board".

But in a public meeting, where the other parents are present and the school board is elected, things seem to be done quicker. :D

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Going to the principal doesn't preclude going to the board, as well. But since most boards only meet once a month - I'd be dealing with someone I could see immediately. And then I'd be straight to the superintendent's office.

I came up with the plan in my original post because, I didn't think that talking to either the teacher or the principal would do any good.

Maybe next time they are at play, I will go get the principal and have her take a walk over there with me so she can see how easily a child could "dissapear", and how the teacher would not know until it was way too late. After of-course I took my pictures. That way if nothing gets done. Then I can take it further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">